Restoring worn speakers

Rob Rivet

I have been holding on to a pair of Klipschorn KBH speakers originally bought new by my brorher-in-law sometime in the late 60s. 

I was first introduced to them in 1969 when started dating my sister.

The veneer of the cabinetry is sonewhat chipped but overall the cabinets are in good condition. 

Any thoughts on what to connect them to from modern day components?  

As for the cabinets, should I strip off the old veneer or leave them in their vintage state?   

I do not own Klipschorns, nor have I ever heard them. But I do have a nice set of La Scala speakers. I drive them with an old Yamaha set up: a C-60 preamp and an M-65 power amp. They sound superb. 

Members here who who do own the big boys are split between tube amps and solid state. The speakers are highly efficient and can be driven to excessively loud levels with low powered amps (>25 watts). In the solid state arena, members use class A; class AB and some use class D. All have pluses and minuses. It is a matter of which you personally prefer. (Which sounds best to you) Prices can range from a few hundred used to a second mortgage new.

Due to the the age of the speakers, the crossover networks may need to have the capacitors replaced, as these components will degrade over time. More knowledgeable members will undoubtedly chime in soon with more details.

As to the veneer, for me this would be the last step, after the network update.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the fantastic speakers you have!

• Like 1

You have a gold mine there.  The big Klipsch are ruthless in their reproduction of what is sent to them, so get a receiver or integrated amp that is not too cheap.  That said, modern electronics should sound as good or better than the 60s era gear you last heard them with.  Look at Denon , Marantz, Sony ES, Integra, Yamaha, NAD, Parasound, ..........