Forte II vs RF83 surprise.

Carlosrs

Just thought I would share.

I have always heard/read that the Klipsch Heritage series is a step above the reference series.  I just got a Forte II in fabulous shape, they sound amazing, and I did a very simple comparison with my RF-83s. Tried with same cables, sub on AND off, same front end, and standing side by side, as shown in the picture. Without going in too deep into it, the RF-83, in my listening room with my equipment, were just better. It was not subtle either, it was noticeable even to my wife. The sound of the RF83s was bigger, more depth, clearer imaging, bigger soundstage, extended lower and was all around more enjoyable.  The mid range in the Forte II was great, but it was missing so many other things that what it DID do better was clouded by what it was missing. Both of them are fabulous speakers, but comparing them side by side, I am keeping the 83s. The sound from the 83, with my setup, the music just seems to float and completely separate from the speakers, they completely disappear.  The Forte II did this too, but not as noticeable.

Granted, I have been living with my RF83 for a while now, I just love the sound, and I have 2 days with the Forte II only. Could this influence?? What am I missing??

My experience is the same as Youthman, Michael Stevens, with the Forte III vs the RF-7 III.

Can't wait to do this same comparison with a pair of La Scalas!!!

20190203_003650.thumb.jpeg.0e4157cdd2377885d71e8312fbf47994.jpeg20190203_110707.thumb.jpeg.960586d52351560687b6e1628bc0bafa.jpeg

• Like 4

Fellow RF-83 owner here, your conclusions don't surprise me.  The RF-83's are one of the most pleasant well balanced speakers I've heard.  I've owned La Scala's and Khorns and I don't miss needing to upgrade the crossover, swap out the tweeter, or find a different mid-horn compression driver.  In stock form the RF-83 just flat works.

Image00013.thumb.jpg.c065f71253610f243deb446272662dcb.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sunnysal said:

Just to nit pick. Forte aren’t really heritage line....regards, To y

Klipsch disagrees with you but I know what you mean.  Even in their category description Klipsch somewhat hedges their bet by calling it "Heritage Classic."

To be labeled a Klipsch Heritage Series speaker means our founder, Paul W. Klipsch, played a pivotal role in the design, development and engineering of these incredible loudspeakers. Each speaker is designed and assembled in the U.S.A. with furniture-grade wood veneers and feature our cornerstone horn-loaded technology to deliver an unsurpassed acoustic experience.

https://www.klipsch.com/heritage-speakers

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Klipsch disagrees with you but I know what you mean.  Even in their category description Klipsch somewhat hedges their bet by calling it "Heritage Classic."

I just noticed that Klipsch has added the Fortes to their Heritage list but for decades the Heritage line was...Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle, Cornwall, and Heresy.  The Fortes were a more mass market speaker introduced in the 1980s iirc, the Forte ended up being one of their highest volume selling speakers ever.    besides having been introduced early in the company’s history the Heritage line shared a lot of componentry.  I haven’t checked but don’t think the Fortes share components with the Heritage speakers, I could be wrong.  Not trying to cause anyone problems just pointing out the newness of the Forte in the game, as I said I have both lines and like them both, they do sound different and your tastes may be different than mine, I still keep my Klipschorns in my main system and generally find I prefer the sound of the Heritage line.  Regards, tony 

Well, one does become accustomed to whatever sound qualities their system has, and something different usually does sound "off" whether it's actually better or not (properly, would be in the long(er) run).  To be completely fair in such a comparison there are two things which should be done.  1 - when doing immediate A/B'ing, the overall volume levels must be precisely matched.  Even a decibel louder with one of the two invariably makes it "sound better" than the other (unless something's grossly wrong with one of them, of course).  2 - spend a couple or three days with only each one to get yourself "recalibrated".

In this instance it seems as though since the RFs spec louder at a watt that may be a factor (as I suspect it was for youthman, too).  As well with what he showed us and we see here, one pair may well be more favorably positioned, and with them co-located, one or the other may well be more affected by the presence of the other (either good or bad effect).

Your findings do not surprise me at all.  I had a pair of Fortes standing right beside my RF-63s for a few years and the 63's are still standing.  Truthfully I loved them both but something was different/special about the RF-63s that the Fortes did not quite have.  Was it the smoothness and seamless transition from lows to mids to highs?  Was it the tight fast punchy bass?  Was it the spot on imaging?  Maybe it was all of the above.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Were the Fortes recapped or original....? 

I believe they are original, but the sound is great.  I have the Crites upgrade and will be doing than soon and see how it goes.

They will be in my other dedicated 2 channel system with similar equipment, so I will have a chance listen to them extensively after this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glens said:

Well, one does become accustomed to whatever sound qualities their system has, and something different usually does sound "off" whether it's actually better or not (properly, would be in the long(er) run).  To be completely fair in such a comparison there are two things which should be done.  1 - when doing immediate A/B'ing, the overall volume levels must be precisely matched.  Even a decibel louder with one of the two invariably makes it "sound better" than the other (unless something's grossly wrong with one of them, of course).  2 - spend a couple or three days with only each one to get yourself "recalibrated".

In this instance it seems as though since the RFs spec louder at a watt that may be a factor (as I suspect it was for youthman, too).  As well with what he showed us and we see here, one pair may well be more favorably positioned, and with them co-located, one or the other may well be more affected by the presence of the other (either good or bad effect).

I agree.  On your first point, I tried them with various music at different levels. I only really switched them 3 times in a period of 2 days, so I got a chance to listen to them for a good while at a time. 2. I am recapping them, doing a little bit of simple upgrades, and they will be in a dedicated 2 channel system in my office with great electronics too.  I will have the 83s at home and the Fortes at the office, I will grow accustomed to its sound and lets see how they mesure up with enough time.

The methodology of testing will always have its flaws, but you should be able to tell what is noticeable better. Youthman tried the La Scala with various RF7 ii RF7 iii, RF7II  upgraded, the La Scalas beat them out and he switched out the 83s for those.  With the Fortes the results were noticeably in favor of the RF 83s.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, willland said:

Your findings do not surprise me at all.  I had a pair of Fortes standing right beside my RF-63s for a few years and the 63's are still standing.  Truthfully I loved them both but something was different/special about the RF-63s that the Fortes did not quite have.  Was it the smoothness and seamless transition from lows to mids to highs?  Was it the tight fast punchy bass?  Was it the spot on imaging?  Maybe it was all of the above.

Bill

I have the RF63s in my home theater, with a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 watt per channel and a Marantz AV8003 pre/pro and they are pure magic. I would not change the Fortes for them either!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Yes, give them a fair shot. Bass is going to be stronger on 83s....no surprise there.   But mids and highs.... Redo that match... 

Will have ample time play with the Fortes, I am restoring them and upgrading them.  They are going into my office system, which I just moved to an old recording studio, so they should have a proper room to play in.

20181102_103233.jpeg

20181210_163405.jpeg

20181210_163346.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

There are many who prefer the modern offerings to some of the Heritage line. Although apples and oranges, I much prefer the overall sound of my stand mounted RB61 IIs to my buddy’s Hereseys.

I agree.

Had Heresey ll's and will stay with the RB61lls.

Although I admit I have a Klipsch Sub now and I didn't with the Heresey's.

• Like 2