Music through more than 2 channels

HenrikTJ

Hi

I've searched far and wide for an answer to this, but haven't had any luck yet... Is there a receiver on the market which lets me play music through more than only two channels? I don't want to play it in surround, because music through surround mode gives zero sound. I want the sound that normally comes through the two front channels to come through my entire 5.1 setup.

In regards to this, im not interested in downloading software that enables music services such as spotify to play with 5.1 or adding amps to my system. Im asking if there is a "all-in-one" solution, such as a receiver, that lets me play music through more than two channels? 

10 minutes ago, HenrikTJ said:

I'll admit, my receiver is as old as I am (21), so maybe time to up my receiver game 

AVR's utilized multi-channel audio as far back as the 1990s.  I know my RX-V530 from 2002 (my first non HTIB AVR, I was 12) did have 5 channel stereo.  AVR's prior to that had a Dolby LCR mode that was marketed as 3-Stereo, but most Yamaha's back to the 390 in 1999 also had multi-channel stereo.  You won't need to break bank to do what you're wanting to do at all and any AVR that you get that's worth a damn has the feature built in.

Be advised though, you will have a power drop in using multi-channel stereo, it won't pack the punch that stereo mode itself has.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

AVR's utilized multi-channel audio as far back as the 1990s.  I know my RX-V530 from 2002 (my first non HTIB AVR, I was 12) did have 5 channel stereo.  AVR's prior to that had a Dolby LCR mode that was marketed as 3-Stereo, but most Yamaha's back to the 390 in 1999 also had multi-channel stereo.  You won't need to break bank to do what you're wanting to do at all and any AVR that you get that's worth a damn has the feature built in.

Be advised though, you will have a power drop in using multi-channel stereo, it won't pack the punch that stereo mode itself has.

Yes, ill keep that in mind, but to be honest, it would be nice to just have a receiver with hdmi capabilities. I've only been using my system for music because thats how I came in to this hifi-world, but ive recently started to branch out to the home theater scene... Guess I have some re-evaluation to do

3 minutes ago, HenrikTJ said:

Yes, ill keep that in mind, but to be honest, it would be nice to just have a receiver with hdmi capabilities. I've only been using my system for music because thats how I came in to this hifi-world, but ive recently started to branch out to the home theater scene... Guess I have some re-evaluation to do

If you're on a tight budget, look at used or refurbished.  Accessories4Less is a good option.  Just make sure you don't hold up on power ratings.  Most of them are grossly inflated.  Outline your features you want and then if you're having trouble, just holler at us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The History Kid said:

If you're on a tight budget, look at used or refurbished.  Accessories4Less is a good option.  Just make sure you don't hold up on power ratings.  Most of them are grossly inflated.  Outline your features you want and then if you're having trouble, just holler at us.

Haha ill keep it in mind, thanks for the help!

My previous Yamaha AVR, an RX-V750 (now in the bedroom), had 7 Channel Stereo, and my current one, a Yamaha RX-A2060, has 9 Channel Stereo.  With both of them, the system was/is 6.1, but the setting could also just be called All Channel Stereo, so 7 or 9 speakers are not needed.

For 2-channel listening, the receiver is set to Straight, with the left and right JubScala IIs being powered by a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amps.  The other 4 speakers are powered by the AVR in other modes.  Surround Decode is used for TV and some Blu-ray or DVD viewing.  9 Channel Stereo is most often used for viewing sports events like motorcycle races, because it makes it sound like you're outdoors, hearing engines and the PA system as you would if you were there.  9 Channel is also useful when I'm in another room, because one of the surround La Scalas faces the hallways at one side of the living/listening room, which helps send the sound out of the room into the rest of my home.

• Thanks 1