Help: Tuning questions - 3.1 Klipsch + Denon

Dan Auerbach

Hi. I've set up my Denon + Klipsch home theater setup (no surround speakers for now). I have: Denon AVR-X1500H Klipsch: pair RP-260F, RP-250C, R-120SW

I listen 50 % music, 50 % netflix videos.

I'm tuning my system to optimal settings and having few open matters to discuss. Most of the online references recommend to trust Audyssey and then leave subs to LFE and 80-100hz and fronts and center to SMALL. When I auto-tune with Audyssey I'm not satisfied with music (concerts), middle tones and strength of fronts (bass and voice is great). Everything is undertuned I think if I listen music (I set settings to Music mode Stereo in Denon), but movies are great to hear (set to Movie mode in denon (dts)). 

Then I manually tune and set sub to LFE + Mains, fronts to LARGE (leave center to small) my fronts start to respond more to middle tunes, rock concerts and other music is great to listen. 

What do you recommend would be my optimal settings? I don't want to switch between settings 🙂

I attached some settings and room details. 

speakerconf.jpg

photo_2019-02-03_15-38-31.jpg

testtune.jpg

Try adjusting the center channel distance by ear. Trust me, it will make a big difference. I have RP-260Fs, RP-250Fs and a RC-64III. I was dissatisfied with the sound initially as there was an imbalance between left and right and the midrange sounded a bit hard and cold. I adjusted the center channel distance by ear and it solved my problem. 

By looking at your photo I can see your center is closer to you than your left and right speakers. Adjust your AV receiver's center channel distance so that it knows it's closer. This will add depth and balance to your sound. You can start with a tape measure and then adjust it by ear. The difference will be obvious. Trust your ears.

Get a good sound meter to use setting levels.  That will affect perceived tonal balance, too.  Parts Express has a few.  If you can find a Radio Shack meter you can find correction data on the web for greater accuracy.  You just cannot set levels by ear.