CRITES CT-120 vs STOCK K-77 in 1976 LaScala’s

Jvitti1970

i added the 55G's in 5 of them and 2 have soldered terminals.

jimjimbo says changing the 15" woofers from parts express is a great option but i don't really want to pry off the access door of the k-horns

i use all Deang networks, waiting on a new set to be built

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jvitti1970 said:

Yes I have pondered doing the mids as well but I agree even with all the LaScala’s  trying to get into that bass bin seems like a bigger challenge than I’d like to take on

Getting into the LS bass bin is not too difficult, getting into Khorn bass bin is a bit more challenging.....Switching out the woofer to the Eminence Kappa 15C was very worthwhile in the La Scala.

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-15c-15-driver-4-ohm--290-459

I don't know how the new K33's compare to the vintage K33's, to be honest.  They are the same designation of course, but I'm not sure how they compare specification/performance wise.

That being said, when I changed out several pairs of vintage K33's with the Kappa 15C, the difference was readily apparent.  I know that @ClaudeJ1did a write up on this quite a while ago, but I will briefly say that although the Kappa does not go quite as low, the clarity of the lower bass tone, and the mid bass response are outstanding.  I was very happy with the change I did with my La Scalas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I don't know how the new K33's compare to the vintage K33's, to be honest.  They are the same designation of course, but I'm not sure how they compare specification/performance wise.

That being said, when I changed out several pairs of vintage K33's with the Kappa 15C, the difference was readily apparent.  I know that @ClaudeJ1did a write up on this quite a while ago, but I will briefly say that although the Kappa does not go quite as low, the clarity of the lower bass tone, and the mid bass response are outstanding.  I was very happy with the change I did with my La Scalas.

Should work well with a horn sub to round out the bottom then.

The Eminence Kappa 15 C is not just a drop in replacement in the La Scala, you will either need to double gasket the woofer (witch i don't recommend) or make a simple spacer out of plywood so the cone does not slap against the motorboard.

Adding a good sub takes away any negatives in the replacement of the K-33.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jason str said:

The Eminence Kappa 15 C is not just a drop in replacement in the La Scala, you will either need to double gasket the woofer (witch i don't recommend) or make a simple spacer out of plywood so the cone does not slap against the motorboard.

Jason, you sure about that?  Maybe in a specific LS model?  I say that because I have replaced the K33s with the Kappa 15C in several pairs of LS and never had an issue.  Not to mention, they sounded fantastic....

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Jason, you sure about that?  Maybe in a specific LS model?  I say that because I have replaced the K33s with the Kappa 15C in several pairs of LS and never had an issue.  Not to mention, they sounded fantastic....

100 % Positive.

As far as i know Klipsch has not used any spacers to mount the K-33 or K-43 but use a thicker gasket to keep the cone from contacting the motorboard.

Maybe some think because it has less Xmax it should be OK but really this has little meaning in this instance.