Help with RP-250S Placement in my Home Theater

mdsjeeper

In early 2018 I purchased 4 RP-250s surround speakers and included them in an existing setup (7.2.2) that includes a Denon X4300H AVR, 2 RP-280F Towers, 2 RP-140SA Atmos Up-Firing, a RP-450 center, and 2 subs (from the Reference line) R12SW.  One of the real positive benefits of the Denon AVR is it allowed me to calibrate the system using the Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and the AVR also had capabilities for 2 subs.  The size of my theater room is 14 by 16.  For the last year or so, I have adjusted settings and massaged the overall system and I've got it where music sounds pretty good and a 4K movie with Dolby Atmos sounds pretty stinking good as well.  As I continue to read and expand my knowledge, and as we all know, we are never completely satisfied and always looking for the next tweak of the system.  Thankfully, I am not afflicted with the desire to keep getting the next "bigger" model or item, but I am always looking to do it a better way. 

Now that I have provided the background of my system, I'll address why I am submitting this today.  While I have gained a lot of insight in general speaker placement, I have found the placement of the RP-250s a little more challenging, due to the fact the physical makeup of these speakers are so unique with the woofers and tweeters are angled apart from each other versus regular surround speakers that point in one direction.  I currently have these speakers placed as the surround speaker pair, and as the surround back speaker pair.  As I stated earlier I use the Audyssey program for the audio setup, but I'm not sure I've done everything I could with the RP-250s, or even if I have them placed in correct location because of their shape.  As all of the diagrams I have looked at show the surround speakers being the regular design that point in one direction, I was hoping there is some documentation specifically for the RP-250s in relation to placement.  

If there is anyone who has any additional information about specific placement of these speakers, I would certainly appreciate it if you would share it.  Take care. 

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Surrounds beside you pointed inward.

Rear surrounds behind you pointing forward.

Is that how you have it now?  I've never seen any different recommendations a far as different placement due to speaker design.

Yes, basically.  What I did was setup the surrounds and the back surrounds just like standard diagrams instruct you to.  I ran Audyssey, and all was well.  Fast forward about a year and I am sitting at the main listening position (MLP) and I had one of those "moments", I looked over at my left surround speaker (RP-250s) directly to my left, and looking at the speaker, both woofers are pointed away from the MLP (one to the rear of the room, the other to the front of the room), and the same with the two tweeters.  Now, I am assuming that this is what Klipsch calls Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST), where each speaker covers a 90 degree arc and the combination of the two cover a full 180 degrees. That's fine but my question remains if I am using surround speakers that are WDST, what are the setup guidelines? Do you set them up like a regular monopole speaker? Klipsch very well may have posted setup guidelines but if they have I have not seen them, or forgot that I saw them (lol).  To be honest, I didn't want to assume you set these up like regular monopole speakers are done, because they are completely different in their speaker layout.  Now, that should be as clear as mud! 

Well, I just answered my own question concerning placement.  Go figure, I looked in the User Manual for the Reference Premiere, what a novel idea!

"Klipsch WDST surround speakers should be placed approximately 2 feet above the listening position.  Typically this will be 5-7 feet above the floor.  The surrounds should be placed on walls directly adjacent to the listening position.  Another option would be on the wall behind the listening position.  The final surround speaker placement depends on your room's characteristics.  They are designed to recreate the sense of space and ambiance that many in today's surround sound technologies provide."  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, mdsjeeper said:

Well, I just answered my own question concerning placement.  Go figure, I looked in the User Manual for the Reference Premiere, what a novel idea!

"Klipsch WDST surround speakers should be placed approximately 2 feet above the listening position.  Typically this will be 5-7 feet above the floor.  The surrounds should be placed on walls directly adjacent to the listening position.  Another option would be on the wall behind the listening position.  The final surround speaker placement depends on your room's characteristics.  They are designed to recreate the sense of space and ambiance that many in today's surround sound technologies provide."  

Sorry to revive your old post. However, do you mind telling me what your final setup is?

I am asking because, as I have mentioned in another post, I am in a situation where I mostly likely need to put my surrounds.