Klipsch La Scala Dance Floor - Vintage

Adker

On 2/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, Max2 said:

You could fund a heck of a DJ setup by selling the MC-30's alone.

No Doubt! But it's my daily listen 5 to 6 days a week and a venue system 1 or 2. I'm actually looking hard for another set of MC30's for the second set of La Scalas.

Vintage is also key here. Our venue has a retro vibe, with several vintage stereo setups (all playing at the same time). That is during cocktail hour, and events that do not have dance floor. It's surprising how many mostly disinterested grooms walk in, light up and declare "This is the Place".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adker said:

No Doubt! But it's my daily listen 5 to 6 days a week and a venue system 1 or 2. I'm actually looking hard for another set of MC30's for the second set of La Scalas.

Vintage is also key here. Our venue has a retro vibe, with several vintage stereo setups (all playing at the same time). That is during cocktail hour, and events that do not have dance floor. It's surprising how many mostly disinterested grooms walk in, light up and declare "This is the Place".

I don't have a lot of experience with tubes first hand, but a pair of 30's I listened to hooked up to some Cornwall's, may be the some of the best Jazz reproduction that I have ever heard.

@ODS123, doesn't know the different between a $12k monblock McIntosh MAC amp pair and his ***.   Your clients don't either...  Go to a "dj setup". These cats that speculate otherwise don't have the experience or knowhow to say otherwise.  Your clients couldn't tell you the diff between headphones and an ACCUPHASE /hand built audiophile speakers... 

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

@ODS123, doesn't know the different between a $12k monblock McIntosh MAC amp pair and his ***.   Your clients don't either...  Go to a "dj setup". These cats that speculate otherwise don't have the experience or knowhow to say otherwise.  Your clients couldn't tell you the diff between headphones and an ACCUPHASE /hand built audiophile speakers... 

Agreed.  No one EVER sneered at my Dynaco ST400, Speakerlab SKhorns, Meteor mixer (who ever heard of those), or Technics turntables with Stanton carts; hardly audiophile gear.  They raved about the loud and clear music.

Regarding raising the tweeters and squawkers, higher is better.  That said, most of the time the SKhorns stayed at floor level with good results.  People tended not to congregate directly in front of the extremely loud speakers.  In large spaces, such as a gymnasium, the open space mitigated the tendency of the bodies to absorb the higher frequencies.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/5/2019 at 6:49 AM, DizRotus said:

My mobile DJ biz was a perfect way to pay my law school tuition in 1975. I ran it more like a dance club.

Very dangerous occupation, I did that for a while, it's how I met my wife. :o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Very dangerous occupation, I did that for a while, it's how I met my wife. :o

Elden the charmer.  I had already met my future wife, but we didn’t get back together until a few years after the DJ biz.  You got Christy, I got hearing loss.  You got the better of me.  Tell Christy I say so.

As a follow up...

Stacking La Scales, with a goal of getting the mid and highs over the crowd, leave them both right side up? I've only seen speakers stacked with the top one inverted, to keep the tweets and mids close together, but that doesn't buy me a lot of height. 

Here's what I'd do.  La Scalas in all 4  corners, protected from drinks and dishes, at least 4 KP-250s or equal hung from the ceiling around the room aimed and the dancers' heads, not sure about the subs, but 4 total, and an excessive amount of power for no chance of clipping (400+/La Scala, 200+/KP-250, ~1000/sub).  I'd take my precious McIntosh gear home along with the Cornwalls and Chorus as soon as I could.  Consider putting K-43 or equal woofers in the La Scalas to make them more resistant to the now fashionable mic drop, etc. 

Mackie VLZ mixers and Crown XLS amps are very good choices.  A dbx Driverack PA2 with calibration mic will handle your sub crossover, eq and feedback control.  That setup will be easy to use.  I have a similar setup I use for DJ and small band sound support.  I wish I'd found the PA2 before I bought just a simple dbx crossover.  Beware of Beheringer, it is too cheaply made.  I had a crossover that only worked with a 10 lb weight sitting on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Couple of observations...

La scalas stacked on top of la scales (tops are not flipped). Tops hooked to a pair of MC30s. Bottoms to a refurbished Sansui eight. 

These two sets of speakers sound vurtually the same, hooked up to the same source. Same mods / upgrades. One set is early 70s, one set is early 80s.

Tops alone sound better than all four. Tops have a TON more bass when stacked, even with the bottoms not powered. Tops sound better than the bottoms when either are hooked to the mc30s. 

Early conclusions...

I need another set of mc30s. The bottoms are an expensive set of speaker stands. 

All four together, stacked, are LOUDER, not better. 

The jury is still out on what it will sound like with 100+ bodies in here.

Years ago, I read about systems being set up for concerts in arenas and the like.  In the winter, with so many audience members wearing big insulated and down-filled coats, the sound would be sucked up by their clothing, so noticeably more power would be required, plus the mids and highs would have to be turned up more than usual.  Concert sound was not so good, until the sound guys figured out what was going on and learned how to compensate for it

• 3 weeks later...