Home theater spk vs 2 channel spk

Chief bonehead

11 hours ago, Fish said:

I consider the 20's  and 30's  best candidates for my needs. We watch tv a lot in my den, 130 inch screen/avr/speakers. I need tv to sound good, concerts to be great, movies to be great and music plenty good enough to enjoy. The KLFs are perfect for the multi purpose (to me) needs. Lots of Klipsch speakers can do all those things really well, but some do better than others. I've had a bunch of speakers  in this spot, the 30's beat out the rest for me, and my wallet.

It would be great if there were a market for new KLF 30s with updated drivers/xover. I'm thinking those days are over.

Would not be too surprised if Klipsch when finishing with the Heritage were to revisit the idea of the Classic speakers. Not so much any KG-5.5, which served dual purpose for me adequately, and is akin in design to the KLF-10, but the KLF or even Chorus 1 or 2. Think Klipsch does listen to us at times for idea or direction, as we are the base customer prospective. Would like to think so anyway.

The KLF-30 I listened to in an HT in Piano Black was very impressive and already knew from feedback from others here at the time that easily would serve more than adequately for 2 channel stereo. In exotic veneers, I say why not.

Your input certainly reinforces that idea. Thanks!

• Like 1

In answer to the  original question, there really shouldn't be any difference.  A speaker should be able to reproduce whatever is sent to it, faithfully, with minimal coloring.  Then, the source sounds like it sounds where ever it came from. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnA said:

A speaker should be able to reproduce whatever is sent to it, faithfully, with minimal coloring.

Setting up a 2 channel system people always use identical speakers because placement isn't usually an issue after size is chosen.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Chief bonehead said:

What is the difference. Really. 

The difference from a practical point of view is Footprint because identical speakers usually isn't an option, especially if you want more capable speakers for 2 channel...As also been mentioned, some of the Home Theater designed speakers work well with the RF-7s and my only advice would be to reinstate the RB-75s! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnA said:

In answer to the  original question, there really shouldn't be any difference.  A speaker should be able to reproduce whatever is sent to it, faithfully, with minimal coloring.  Then, the source sounds like it sounds where ever it came from. 

I mostly agree ,so just in relation to performance.........smaller speakers can still create a very convincing home theater set up. Small speakers do not create a convincing concert presentation or powerful musical either, imo. They can sound great, but output is limited. I'll note that for lower to average volumes, db, there can be minimal difference, small could even be better if it's great small vs mediocre big. 

I have already mentioned my guess about speaker dispersion may have different requirements between the two. Here are some more thoughts. 2 channel does not imply that a center channel will be used - HT makes that implication. 2-channel does not imply that a subwoofer will be used - HT makes that implication. 

A lot of the above stuff about fidelity of transients and timbre are off-track. All systems need to be able to do that. 

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

2 channel does not imply that a center channel will be used - HT makes that implication. 2-channel does not imply that a subwoofer will be used - HT makes that implication. 

On that note--2 channel also implies that a subwoofer won't be used and the third variable would be if one wants a capable 2-channel and multichannel setup using the same speakers. IOW, "2 channel" is 2 speakers, where as multi speaker configurations are usually accompanied by a subwoofer, which can benefit the person who wants to listen to 2 channel music but doesn't have the space for identical speakers that are as large for strictly 2 channel. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

On that note--2 channel also implies that a subwoofer won't be used and the third variable would be if one wants a capable 2-channel and multichannel setup using the same speakers. IOW, "2 channel" is 2 speakers, where as multi speaker configurations are usually accompanied by a subwoofer, which can benefit the person who wants to listen to 2 channel music but doesn't have the space for identical speakers that are as large for strictly 2 channel. 

That implication is in my humble opinion is where a purist per say bows out. In order for a 2 channel experience, capable speakers are a prerequisite. Not a purist in the strictest sense yet, no sub for me to enjoy the bass compartment t. This from  an amateur bass player.

6 minutes ago, billybob said:
15 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That implication is in my humble opinion is where a purist per say bows out. In order for a 2 channel experience, capable speakers are a prerequisite.

Then the question would be can a smaller footprint speaker made by Klipsch (or any other brand) fulfill your requirements? Imo, that seems to be the dilemma and not being an actual bass player but want multichannel capabilities feel once you get what you like your imagination can take care of the limitations. That's my take.

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Then the question would be can a smaller footprint speaker made by Klipsch (or any other brand) fulfill your requirements? Imo, that seems to be the dilemma and not being an actual bass player but want multichannel capabilities feel once you get what you like your imagination can take care of the limitations. That's my take.

When speaking of the KLF earlier here, also thought but did not mention the RB-75 which, may actually fulfill  both requirements as I have owned much smaller Klipsch bookshelves and somehow felt, it would work for me. Say an RB-75-2, or even the P-17 rerun or remake would in my limited opinion suffice, depending upon room size, of course...

• Klipsch Employees
11 hours ago, JohnA said:

Hmmmmmm.....

• Klipsch Employees
On 2/6/2019 at 9:53 PM, PrestonTom said:

I was under the impression you guys (engineers) might target a different dispersion for home theater. Maybe I am wrong on this, but are HT speakers typically in the ballpark of 90 deg horizontal and 60 deg vertical (like a "typical"  2 channel speaker)

For me.....yes. But should they?

16 hours ago, JohnA said:

I agree.  At the low end of speaker quality, one design might suffice a bit better than another, but we're beyond low end and sufficing here.  This means that a high quality setup should be able to do a great job of reproducing anything that's sent to it.  Sure, 5 Jubilees and an 1802 sub would be the ultimate for home use (some may disagree with that), but for most viewing where the surround sounds are secondary to the screen action, lesser speakers like La Scalas (first-gen or LS2) should be more than adequate for the job, along with a sub that's enough for the size of the room.

We use our Khorns, Belle center, Hersey IIs for music and movies.  For music we can use the Khorns for 2 channels, or add the Belle for 3 channel "Wide Stage Stereo," or all the speakers + a sub for 5.1 movies, multichannel SACDs.  They work equally well for all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnA said:

And yet there are timbre differences in speakers... and performance differences. So is it a matter of economics and targeting a price point?

The comment above about dispersion was interesting... most serious 2 channel seem to have a main LP, a sweet spot... most HT target a wider area.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Mr k had a very interesting quote that stuck in my bonehead......let’s see what was it........

Well please unstick it, I'm looking for a good quote from Mr K for something, or if you have a different one from him.