Pork Rib rub

T2K

Any suggestions for a really simple pork rib rub? The salt/pepper/brown sugar thing is easy but any other ideas to try? The wife cooked pork ribs in the oven the other day just adding BBQ sauce after a couple of hours. They were the best pork ribs I've ever eaten, so tender the bones pulled out when I tried to slice them. Pulled them apart with a fork. Of course I feel that it is incumbent upon me to screw that up now. Any ideas?

Keith

Cover it with mustard, then apply the rub.

Formula for a Great Homemade Dry Rub

This has a very unique flavor for rub

Image result for rendezvous rub

Another from amazing ribs.com

Course. Sauces and Condiments.

Cuisine. American.

Makes. About 3 cups. At about 2 tablespoons per slab of ribs, this is enough for 24 slabs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid. Use enough to cover the meat surface but still let some meat show through.

Takes. 15 minutes. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup American paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Max2 said:

Cover it with mustard, then apply the rub

Works great for me, and don't worry it had NO mustard taste, I was a little panicked the first time I tried it.

I tend to make my own rub also, it can get expensive to buy the premade stuff if you use alot.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, T2K said:

Any suggestions for a really simple pork rib rub? The salt/pepper/cinnamon thing is easy but any other ideas to try? The wife cooked pork ribs in the oven the other day just adding BBQ sauce after a couple of hours. They were the best pork ribs I've ever eaten, so tender the bones pulled out when I tried to slice them. Pulled them apart with a fork. Of course I feel that it is incumbent upon me to screw that up now. Any ideas?

Keith

I never used cinnamon, I usually just look up a bunch of different homemade rubs and you start to see many similar ingredients and this is where I start to make my own.  I put rub then the yellow mustard as much as will stick without sliding off then as much rub as I can get to stick on that.

It seems to be about 12 hours smoking, until about 195 internal temperature,  part of the reason I don't cook them that often, but it does freeze well after being pulled. I tried 180 and it was a little greasy, 210 and it started to dry out. 

I usually do something close to the 3-2-1 method for ribs, smoke 3 hours @225, put in foil for 2 hours with seasoning and/or bbq sauce then out of foil back on for another hour, had good luck with this.

For the little ribs with no bone, I smoke for about an hour then foil with seasoning and sauce for maby another hour or until done, if these are cooked too long they get tough. 

It's just how I do it, there are many ways, many times I get helpful ideas from here, including ideas for seasoning.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/

I edited the cinnamon word for brown sugar, which is what I meant to type dtel. Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll use parts of them for a hybrid rub next time if the wife will let me in the kitchen.

Oh yeah I wanted to throw out the how the wife cooked the ribs, just for information. Everyone cooks differently. She wrapped the ribs in aluminum foil putting them in the oven bone side up. Cooked at 350 degrees for 2 hours until internal temp was 190 degrees. Remove, add BBQ sauce, return to 175 degree oven for 2 hours (my brother was here so she said she left them in the oven since my brother couldn't eat ribs). Anyway as I said before they were really tender and really good. I thought I might try a rub on a slab next time, hence the question.

Keith

• Moderators
2 hours ago, T2K said:

I thought I might try a rub on a slab next time, hence the question.

That would work just fine.

I either use sauce or a dry rub, the dry rub get's used about 95% of the time, with the other ribs with no bone I added sauce while in the foil just for something different.

I wish you had a way to get some smoke on them, it's my favorite part.

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

That would work just fine.

I either use sauce or a dry rub, the dry rub get's used about 95% of the time, with the other ribs with no bone I added sauce while in the foil just for something different.

I wish you had a way to get some smoke on them, it's my favorite part.

I know what you mean about the smoke. We eat lots of chicken. Seems like it anyway. I get tired of it. On the other hand the local grocery has a deli and one of their lunch regulars is a smoked half-chicken. The wife will come home from the store and announce 'I got you smoked chicken for lunch' and my stomach rolls over thinking 'chicken, blah' until the word smoked sinks in. It's good, it's all about the smoke.

Keith

I’m a big fan of Meathead Goldwyn. His Memphis Dust rub recipe is great.

You can find it here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

His book called “Meathead” is really good. In it, (along with food scientist Dr. Greg Blonder) they tackle almost every aspect of cooking meat.

I never do the mustard pre rub thing. It does nothing but make a mess, IMO.

• Moderators

Your right T2K, I love the smoke flavor also, I smoke everything I can.

The two most regular things are pork loin, and chicken. But anytime I can cook it outside I do, sausage for beans, gumbo or jambalaya, even beef for spaghetti sauce or chili I shape into large patties and smoke then break up to whatever size for whatever it's going in. Smoked many meatloafs also.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I never do the mustard pre rub thing. It does nothing but make a mess, IMO.

That's the good thing about smoking if it's not under or over cooked there really no wrong ways, it's good.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Smoking meats is something I love to do, I do it at least 2-5 times a week, even just the smell of the smoker running is great.

Ok I have a smoking problem :blush2:

I have a problem too. My problem is leather. I love good hand tooled and other US leathers. Be it belts, wallets, handbags, saddlebags for your Harley or even, yes, cowboy boots. I love 'em. Talked to my brother again today and asked about Dad's old cowboy boots. I don't remember ever seeing them. They have got to be around 50 years old. I've seen a picture of them. They are light full-quill ostrich with ostrich trim at the top of the shaft. You never see boots made like that anymore. Brother said, hell, I'll mail them to you along with his cowboy belt. They're not worth anything. I told him the value in them for me was the leather, like Civil War artifacts to him. He understood then. Yes, I have a problem.

Keith

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I think so too. I hope my city never ends up like this:

We are in the country it would never get to that BUT if it did I would smoke at night if I had to.

I'm not going to quit, for the most part, if something is legal or not has not stopped me before, within reason.

But that is crazy, I remember hearing something like that somewhere in California years ago, that proves it's silly. 

Rub pretty well covered, but which to supply a very good sauce recipe I've messed with over the years. This one is maybe 20% southwest, but mostly the Carolinas and that part of the south most identified with pulled pork. All I have to say about dry rubs is use what you like, but do rub with mustard first. While French's or whatever will work, I prefer to mix up and use Coleman's...which DOES contribute to the flavor.

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (half and quarter cup water if you want less vinegar bite)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon of dried minced onion (2 or 3 tablepspoons fresh if you prefer)
2 teaspoons dried minced garlic (tablespoon of fresh if you prefer)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon or a bit more ribbon cane, Steen's, ribbon cane, or molasses
2 tablespoons Coleman's mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons or so Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon smoked paprika or regular
2 or so teaspoons chili powder

Bring to boil at least long enough to reconstitute dried ingredients. Blend in pot with immersion blender to liquify the onions and garlic, then simmer another 20 minutes or so.

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

Some leather has a nice smell, kind of nothing else like it. There is some very nice leather out there, extremely durable but not easy to work with.

Times change. I remember, and still love, the smell of old leather and tobacco smoke. There was a time it was the smell of sophistication and manliness. Now...not so much.

Dave