New house living room options - New Bar-48

avguytx

In building this new house, all my gear is going upstairs in my upstairs "music room" so nothing major is going to be downstairs...at all.  That was my main point for building out the upstairs was to keep it minimal downstairs.  We obviously want music downstairs and it will most likely just be streamed in from our phones via Spotify, etc., from my upstairs server, and probably from the TV.  So all I'm really wanting to do is something like either the RSB-14 or a pair of The Sixes.  I lean more towards The Sixes "but" my wife is wanting the shelves to the left and right of the fireplace to be for "stuff"...as in decor, pictures, etc.  That's fine.  Living room is about 20 x 22 but is open to the kitchen, foyer, and dining room which makes it more like 35 x 35.  

The RSB-14, along with the others, seem  to only get favorable reviews at best but I'd be ok with it, or another brand that worked better.  Again, I lean more towards The Sixes and the get the more favorable reviews of the two.  Either keep me from having to use a separate receiver, etc., to have tunes downstairs and there will never ever be surround downstairs.  Ever.  I'd rather stay with Klipsch as I don't have to pay retail for them as I know all of my past accounts/dealers throughout the DFW metroplex , OK, and AR (where I live) from when I was a rep.

I do have room under the base cabinets to put a receiver and I wired for speakers from one side to the other.  So, going that route wouldn't be that big of a deal.  Just trying to be reasonable on price as the living room is not where I'll be doing the major listening.  Living room will be more for casual music while cooking, watching tv, or having a get together.

What say the flock?

Listening to Muddy Waters "The Folk Singers" on my 'Sixes' as I respond to this thread right now.  Vacillated back & forth between the 'Three's' & 'Sixes' for weeks for the very same reasons you've mentioned.  Noticed a thread on this forum that mentioned how impressed Mr. Crites  was with his pair of 'Sixes'.  His recommendation and the fact that I really would miss the 2 channel stereo separation that the 'Threes' lack made my decision.  Yes, the 'Sixes' will take up more realestate and the WAF may be paramount in your decision.  I'm regularly amazed at how beautiful looking and how just plain good sounding the 'Sixes' are.  That being said, they are my first and only foray into the world of  powered speakers.  Have not heard the 'Threes' myself but I'm sure they are also an outstanding choice.  However, my vote, if room allows, would be for the 'Sixes'.  Truly don't think you would regret it. 

-wWell, based on how the shelves are going to be made, there's only about 12" of height to work with on each.  No biggie really as I'm not worried about the living room as it's more for background music anyway.  For smallish bookshelf speakers, I already own 2 pairs of Dynaco A25's with some replaced vintage look woven linen style grills and a pair of Klipsch KG 2.2's in oak.  I imagine I'll go with the KG 2.2's as they are a tad under 10" tall when laid on their side like a center channel.  They are in oak which doesn't match and my wife loathes oak furniture or trim.  The quick story behind that is her mother pretty much had all oak furniture in the house she grew up in; apparently had a relative that owned an oak furniture store in the early 80's and got the hookup (and still has the same crap now).  So, those can be either lightly sanded down and painted satin black, which will match the decor, or stained a darker color like some of the other things in that area.

I can pick up a 2-channel Onkyo receiver for cost (know the Nat'l sales manager back when I was a rep) or use an older Yamaha surround receiver (in 2-ch mode) with a Chromecast tied into it and call it good.  She still likes the idea of a soundbar so it doesn't take up space on her shelves for decoration so we'll see what happens.  I really don't care either way but it would be nice to use what I already have and not have to buy anything new.

It's funny that the KG 2.2v's (which are mine) are basically a dual 6.5" in-wall speaker mounted into a cabinet.  I guess in 1992 that was the early stage of what in-wall speakers would turn into.

• Like 1

No....not the way the living room is laid out.  I'll try and post a picture later of it but it's a gas fireplace on the wall, vaulted ceiling, and shelves to the left and right of the "shiplap" faux chimney.  There would be room to the left side but not the right as there's a doorway to the study nook and back 2 bedrooms.

• 3 weeks later...

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words so here is a picture of the living room from standing on one side of the kitchen so  you can see what I'm working with.  I may end up just using the Klipsch KG 2.2's and use a Chromecast Audio tied to a 2-channel Yamaha receiver I have or possibly a soundbar of some sort, which my wife seems to prefer.  But she doesn't really care overall so it's up to me.  The KG 2.2's are oiled oak, which both of us do NOT like, so they would get finished in satin black if they end up in there.  Again, this is for just living room music only and maybe tying in the TV sound for occasional use....don't care about home theater anymore.

Forgive the fact that I haven't gotten the cat5/RG6 wall plates done yet. ;)

20190303_152526-1024x576.jpg

• Like 1

I believe I've decided to go with one of the new Klipsch Bar-48's when they arrive at my local dealer sometime soon.  In reading about it, it seems to be night and day above any of the older RSB stuff.  If I "did" decide to do some sort of surround downstairs, which I doubt, there will be wireless rear speaker options.  Maybe the Bluetooth audio will work better than some of their past efforts.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/bar-48-soundbar#product-specs