In The Early 70’s

MI6

The year 1977, Waterville, ME.  A Colby College sophomore I prowled the local hifi shops and 1 featured Klipsch.  I remember being impressed but unable to consider the expense and size/weight of Klipschorns.  Besides, the "formative" shop back home (Natural Sound) didn't carry any horns.  They had Quad ESL (wow!)  Beveridge (yowza!) Fulton J's (check the bass) and Snell (more what I could afford).  Magnepan MGIIIs (nice!)  were mine for a few years until I had to raise some money.  I ended up with a 2 way large bookshelf Phillips 475s (cone and dome) for years all I could afford.  Later it was Alon IVs for a long time.

Oddly, it took a hunt for Khorn upgrades after I finally got my 1990 pair and a return to Waterville and Greg's shop to hear a more valid variation on the cupped hands demo.  Greg held a K400 horn up to his mouth and spoke through it then held up his tractrix aftermarket horn which seemed to have much less coloration.  I didn't bite on Greg's upgrade but later got Dave's Eliptrac horns.  A nice upgrade from the K400.

There was a progressive FM radio station,  when I would visit friends in 

Diamond Point  on Lake George NY during the summer break. I cannot 

recall the the call letters of that  station, but the transmitter was located 

on the top of one of the many mountain tops in New Hamster. They boasted

a 100,000 watt flame thrower of a signal. I know people in Main could receive

this station. Any thoughts about what I’m talking about? The sound coming 

from my buddies K horns was my first exposure to the Klipschorns sound 

and I was blown away.  He said the sound was so good because the radio

station didn’t compress the life out of their signal. Maybe but I think it was the 

combination of both...

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, kevinmi said:

There was a couple of different stereo shops in the Flint area, one being a Klipsch dealer. The other one wasn't, and if you mentioned Klipsch in that store, they would do the same cupped hand thing. Luckily I ignored them and bought Klipsch anyway.

stereo center and tv stereo village where i bought 2 pair of Heresy's in 1985.   I remember well as i never bought anything at stereo center with there over priced B&W's, Cantons etc. They didn't like me there.

16 hours ago, mopardave said:

stereo center and tv stereo village where i bought 2 pair of Heresy's in 1985.   I remember well as i never bought anything at stereo center with there over priced B&W's, Cantons etc. They didn't like me there.

And then Stereo Center became the Klipsch dealer after the other store closed. How Ironic!

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

And then Stereo Center became the Klipsch dealer after the other store closed. How Ironic!

Yep, and then when they closed front row audio became the dealer and when they closed todays audio took Klipsch.    Its sad at one time we always had 2 or 3 high end audio stores to visit. Now there is none.  What a shame.

3 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Yep, and then when they closed front row audio became the dealer and when they closed todays audio took Klipsch.    Its sad at one time we always had 2 or 3 high end audio stores to visit. Now there is none.  What a shame.

Front row audio was actually owned by the same people that owned Stereo Center. When it closed, Craig Johnson( Salesman at Stereo center/Front Row) opened up another Stereo Center on Miller Rd for a couple of years. Craig was also a Mopar owner, I used to see him at car shows. He was a member of the Mopar Club.

8 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

Front row audio was actually owned by the same people that owned Stereo Center. When it closed, Craig Johnson( Salesman at Stereo center/Front Row) opened up another Stereo Center on Miller Rd for a couple of years. Craig was also a Mopar owner, I used to see him at car shows. He was a member of the Mopar Club.

Todays audio had a couple guys from tv stereo village, but I did not know that store was owned by same people as stereo center.   I know Craig a little bit from stereo center and then his own store and yes he is a Mopar guy. He bought a 74 Barracuda from me, which I wish a had never sold now.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Todays audio had a couple guys from tv stereo village, but I did not know that store was owned by same people as stereo center.   I know Craig a little bit from stereo center and then his own store and yes he is a Mopar guy. He bought a 74 Barracuda from me, which I wish a had never sold now.

There is a guy over by me( on Davison Rd.) that has a sweet looking blue Barracuda, probably 66 or so.

2 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

There is a guy over by me( on Davison Rd.) that has a sweet looking blue Barracuda, probably 66 or so.

Not sure, but I may have seen that. I used to do the mopar shows at Bentley high school.  That was a nice little show.  I did quite a few of the flint mopar club shows til I started going to the track more often.Had a hi strung small block in it running 10.30's on pump gas. I built a nice street/strip 511 big block and now I just street drive.  Maybe you have seen it around.

20171207_163320.jpg

12 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

The Cuda I'm talking about by me is older I believe it has chrome bumpers. I see it in his garage when I drive by, with a 69 Camaro parked next to it

Yeah the small body is first gen.   If its medium blue metallic I know the car.   He was at the 7 lakes park show once.   Nicest one I ever seen.