Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
MI6

In The Early 70’s

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, mopardave said:

Yeah the small body is first gen.   If its medium blue metallic I know the car.   He was at the 7 lakes park show once.   Nicest one I ever seen.

He drove by my house a couple of times, and it sounds pretty beefy, and is definitely restored perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

That is a beautiful car!

Thanks. I have had it  to back to bricks twice.  Its just to big and busy for me and the car down there. I have a collection of trophys  as well.  It is a good show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

=== I trusted my ears when I bought my new LaScalas’ in 77-78. Going from a custom built pair of pro series driver JBL 2-ways a leap of faith even with listening to them numerous times before placing the order. I not only liked what I heard but was taken away with their appearance - the horn loaded bin/doghouse won me over. When I would then post on the JBL Heritage Forum about selling the JBL for LS I was asked whether I had lost my mind, my hearing or combination there of. They couldn’t believe I traded for a screeching, high freq. heavy, no bass LS. Long after I was obligated to sell the LS I stopped in a hi-fi shop while visiting San Diego and said I really missed the sound of speakers I once owned. Before I said Klipsch they beat me to it “you mean a Klipsch speaker”? And with no hesitation they went on to bash everything about them. Always struck me a bit strange —

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, richieb said:

 

=== I trusted my ears when I bought my new LaScalas’ in 77-78. Going from a custom built pair of pro series driver JBL 2-ways a leap of faith even with listening to them numerous times before placing the order. I not only liked what I heard but was taken away with their appearance - the horn loaded bin/doghouse won me over. When I would then post on the JBL Heritage Forum about selling the JBL for LS I was asked whether I had lost my mind, my hearing or combination there of. They couldn’t believe I traded for a screeching, high freq. heavy, no bass LS. Long after I was obligated to sell the LS I stopped in a hi-fi shop while visiting San Diego and said I really missed the sound of speakers I once owned. Before I said Klipsch they beat me to it “you mean a Klipsch speaker”? And with no hesitation they went on to bash everything about them. Always struck me a bit strange —

I think only 1 dealer was allowed to sell Klipsch within so many miles and if the shops that didn't get the Klipsch deal they would just bash them, after all they were a rival/competitor(Klipsch) to whatever brand they were selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never heard the honk thing until the age of the internet.

 

I walked into my local store, heard various things....went into their 'high end' room and was mystified at those speakers I saw in the corner....  they didn't have any woofers but only a midrange & tweeter....how DID they work?

 

Guy played them and I was awestruck.

 

It was 1978 I was preparing for college....  couldn't afford Khorns.  He knew he had a potential sale in front of him so he asked if I'd like to see their smaller brother?  Sure!

 

Took me to another area and started playing them.  I was again floored with their output and sound....but was totally mystified at how a speaker so large (LaScala) could have so little bass???  I was perplexed and he saw it on my face as he played his joke on me and 'got me'.  He had a pair of Heresy's sitting on top of the LaScalas and was actually playing them whilest I thought the LaScala was playing...

 

He got a laugh at my expense, switched over to the LaScalas and I was appropriately impressed....  as my pal & I were leaving, I remember patting them on the top telling my friend "one day"  I got them the next year and have them today.

 

Given how stubborn I can be, I would have probably bought them anyway had I been told they were honky...  seems I like honky!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^

==== yep, even with Jubes and LS1 in the house a new pair of Heresy 3 are on the way - Tuesday? I’ve been listening to the LS and Heresy1 for the past couple weeks and honestly totally satisfied even with a Jubes looming in the background. There is still something special with the sound of a “smaller” speaker, LS and even smaller H1. The demo room at Hope showed how well the H3 can play and compete with its bigger brothers —

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Not sure, but I may have seen that. I used to do the mopar shows at Bentley high school.  That was a nice little show.  I did quite a few of the flint mopar club shows til I started going to the track more often.Had a hi strung small block in it running 10.30's on pump gas. I built a nice street/strip 511 big block and now I just street drive.  Maybe you have seen it around.

20171207_163320.jpg

 

=== looking at my Forum name pic you might imagine I really like your car — !

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, richieb said:

 

=== looking at my Forum name pic you might imagine I really like your car — !

Yeah, sweet.   Would really like to have one of those in garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mopardave said:

Not sure, but I may have seen that. I used to do the mopar shows at Bentley high school.  That was a nice little show.  I did quite a few of the flint mopar club shows til I started going to the track more often.Had a hi strung small block in it running 10.30's on pump gas. I built a nice street/strip 511 big block and now I just street drive.  Maybe you have seen it around.

20171207_163320.jpg

Nice, I love mopars, , drove Cuda's many years of my life, thus Fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fish said:

Nice, I love mopars, , drove Cuda's many years of my life, thus Fish.

Cool another mopar guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early '70s wasn't yet into "hi" fi.  Later '70s didn't need to have anyone cup their hands for me, heard it that way all on my own... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 2:48 PM, Delicious2 said:

Oddly, it took a hunt for Khorn upgrades after I finally got my 1990 pair and a return to Waterville and Greg's shop to hear a more valid variation on the cupped hands demo.  Greg held a K400 horn up to his mouth and spoke through it then held up his tractrix aftermarket horn which seemed to have much less coloration.  I didn't bite on Greg's upgrade but later got Dave's Eliptrac horns.  A nice upgrade from the K400.

I'd guess that demo went something like this:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 6:40 PM, Chris A said:

In high school, I started on the family's Catalina 22.  In college, it was 420s and 470s intercollegiately:

orangebluematch.jpg

 

AWESOME :D  Did most of my sailing on Hobie 16's and 18's off the beach.  Loved to turn them over ... haha; close to the shore. Good memories :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DizRotus said:

 

Kevin,

 

Have you and Dave @mopardave met. The Klipsch Mopar shared interests suggests yes.

Actually, we haven't met in person. But hopefullyI can get him to come over for a visit since we are so close together and have a lot in common. Stereoheads and gearheads always welcome at my house!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kevinmi said:

Actually, we haven't met in person. But hopefullyI can get him to come over for a visit since we are so close together and have a lot in common. Stereoheads and gearheads always welcome at my house!

Cool.  Might take you up on that when I find some time.  Sounds like fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Cool.  Might take you up on that when I find some time.  Sounds like fun.

Curious to the sound from those Fraziers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the early Seventies, I lived near Executive Stereo, a now long-gone stereo shop in Don Mills, a suburb of Toronto.  When I went in and asked about Klipsch speakers (I think I might have seen a magazine ad and been curious about them), I was immediately treated like a VIP and shown into the high-end room, even though I was barely out of my teens and had a stereo that was not much of an upgrade from a clock radio.  I remember being impressed and resolving to get either La Scalas or Belles, but it would be another 35 years before I spotted an affordable used pair of La Scalas in a vintage hi-fi shop.  I had a listen and went back the next day to pay for them.

 

Right now, the La Scalas are singing behind me, while JubScala IIs are in front of me, as well as a Belle in the middle.  I usually get what I want, but sometimes it takes a really long time to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the exact opposite experience when I bought my first real system in early 1992.  My salesman couldn't stop guiding me back to the forte II even though I was willing to pay the price difference on the Chorus II at the time.  I have had absolutely zero regrets over the last 28 years or so..  This was at United Audio, a long defunct high end retailer in the Midwest.

 

Regards,

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...