It’s the Pits

DizRotus

SOD, sprint cars on dirt, is my favorite racing.  Saw my first race in the 70s at Terre Haute Action track.  My brother and I sat in the stands and speculated whether  a recent cloud burst had rendered the dirt track too muddy to race.  Any veterans aound us must've had a hoot.  Soon a water truck came out to spray more water on the track.  IIRC, Gary Bettenhausen had the best equipment and won the race.

• Like 2

Stringing sports had a few perks...  Gimme Muirfield for the week, Indy credentials and Mid-Ohio, which is relatively local.  Didn't make squat shooting local sports and the full-timers didn't wanna go work so yea...  PARTAY!  28 years hangin in Indy for the race not to mention the bars on Pendleton Pike!  Love that town!  Might just have one or two stories...  Hahhaha!  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Stringing sports had a few perks...  Gimme Muirfield for the week, Indy credentials and Mid-Ohio, which is relatively local.  Didn't make squat shooting local sports and the full-timers didn't wanna go work so yea...  PARTAY!  28 years hangin in Indy for the race not to mention the bars on Pendleton Pike!  Love that town!  Might just have one or two stories...  Hahhaha!  

I made a few laps around Mid Ohio on a race bike, and that was before the paving. Great place, but I never completely gelled with the track.

Not sure when the last time you were at Indy for the race, but it sure is tame compared to what it was. It's all family friendly. They did eliminate 150k seats.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I made a few laps around Mid Ohio on a race bike, and that was before the paving. Great place, but I never completely gelled with the track.

Not sure when the last time you were at Indy for the race, but it sure is tame compared to what it was. It's all family friendly. They did eliminate 150k seats.

Mid Ohio is a different layout completely, some gel others don't.  Have to admit though there are some sweet hairpins but Indy cars today aren't designed for the course.  You ever want to come over for a race lemme know.  I'm 25 minutes max away and can work credentials maybe.  Yea, Indy was insane and just starting to "clean-up" the infield gaggle when I pretty much quit shooting.  

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

I watched a race at Mid Ohio with the Chaparrals 427 engines and suction fans before they outlawed the fans. The suspension components had to be doubled

in size to handle the G forces with the added suction.

JJK

Yea, they didn't take long to outlaw the fan-car.