Two way KPT-402/K-69-A active settings

Ivaols

Hi

Can anyone please help me with electronic crossover settings for the KPT-402 with K-69-A? It's for use in a home cinema with the KPT-904 LF. Not behind a screen. 

I'm currently using the KPT-535 with passive crossovers but have a spare stereo amp and a Minidsp 2X4HD and I am curious what active crossovers will sound like. 

Appreciate any help ☺️

Edited by Ivaols

402/69                                                                I would high pass the 402/69 at 600HZ and low pass the bass bin at 500HZ.

HI

PEQ
PEQ
LoShelve
HiShelve

LR 24
600HZ

KP904

LOWPASS   CROSSOVER

500 Hz Linkwitz Riley 24 dB

PEQ1

270 Hz Q: 2.2 Gain: +2 dB  

PEQ2

620 Hz Q: 5.5 Gain: -3 dB 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give you an exciting update. I have gone all in for active crossover. The passive crossover is sold and I bought a Silica XP4080 wich will arrive Tuesday. 

This is first time going active. I have only read about it. I do have experience with REW and planning to use the EQ function in REW. The above mentioned settings, am I supposed to change them according to my room, or let them be and adjust additionally according to how the speakers measure in my room? 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 1:59 AM, Ivaols said:

Does anyone know if those settings are developed measuring the speaker outside? I haven't started testing yet, just curious.

The anechoic chamber in Hope AR was the place those particular settings were developed, if they are Roy's settings.

3 hours ago, Ivaols said:

Just wanted to give you an exciting update. I have gone all in for active crossover. The passive crossover is sold and I bought a Silica XP4080 wich will arrive Tuesday...The above mentioned settings, am I supposed to change them according to my room, or let them be and adjust additionally according to how the speakers measure in my room? 

The Xilica XP4080 is a very good choice.  At least below 200 Hz, you need to update those settings for your room and loudspeaker placements using REW and a calibration microphone.  I find that the drivers in new loudspeakers take a few hours of break-in before the woofers and compression drivers break-in to their long-term performance values.

Additionally, I find that further tweaking of the frequency response and crossover filter types/orders will yield tangible improvement in sound quality.

Chris

Hi

I have tried to use the settings I got above in this thread, but the resulting graph looks cracy both in the Xilica software (Attached image), and the measured frequency graph in REW. Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Settings.JPG

12 hours ago, Ivaols said:

Hi

I have tried to use the settings I got above in this thread, but the resulting graph looks cracy both in the Xilica software (Attached image), and the measured frequency graph in REW. Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Settings.JPG

Maybe you’ve been working with ChrisA or someone more experienced overnight but I would say those two shelves are screwing things up.  Try changing those to regular PEQ filters and adjusting the ‘db’ row (gain) and Oct row (how broad) until you get a smooth curve 

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the xilica graph possibly matter? It can't know anything about you speaker/room. Isn't it just showing you your particular settings in a visual Manor? A boost here and there.  Nothing to do with results. For that you would need the REW sweep(s) to, hopefully, see a flat-ish reading or where more adjustments are needed.

You say the REW readings are crazy too. Do they mimic the xilica?

I'm trying to understand everything about my xilica 2-way set up. Wondering if I am missing the point. 

Any explanation of what the shelf settings are/do would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, Ivaols said:

Hi

Settings.JPG

Those don't look like the settings shown in the K-69-A chart above. 

Try  the following Xilica XP series presets file:  K-69-A Jubilee settings (CL Askew).xdat

The HF channel uses different PEQs than the Excel presets file for the Electrovoice Dx38 above, since the LOSLV settings are different from the Electrovoice DSP crossovers to the Xilica crossovers.  The Xilica can do the job without using LOSLV filters, and only four PEQs are required, including the big negative-going PEQ at 1466 Hz (-11.5 dB).

Here is a screen shot of the HF channel settings in that file (vertical scale axes are reset from their default limits):

756793548_K-69-AHFsettingsforJubilee(CLAskew).thumb.JPG.fdafeac3eff5d6989eede6df4d295576.JPG

You may have to use a hand-held SPL meter to set the HF channel gain relative to the bass bins, since I reused the Excel spreadsheet settings found in the .xls file above, and the relative levels of the bass bin vs. the HF channels may not be the same from the K-402-MEH bass bin settings (whose K-69-A settings I reused above in the .xdat file).

Chris

Ivaols: if you take a REW sweep of the resulting response using a calibrated microphone (like a UMIK-1 with its miniDSP web-site-accessible calibration file indexed to the microphone's serial number), it would be nice to see the resulting response in the form of an export REW measurement file (*.mdat).  If you manage to take a measurement, please send me a PM and I'll return my email address to email your measurement file to.  Then I can help to optimize the settings for your room setup, particularly those below 200 Hz (which always vary a great deal from room to room). 

Chris

43 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Ivaols: if you take a REW sweep of the resulting response using a calibrated microphone (like a UMIK-1 with its miniDSP web-site-accessible calibration file indexed to the microphone's serial number), it would be nice to see the resulting response in the form of an export REW measurement file (*.mdat).  If you manage to take a measurement, please send me a PM and I'll return my email address to email your measurement file to.  Then I can help to optimize the settings for your room setup, particularly those below 200 Hz (which always vary a great deal from room to room). 

Chris

@Ivaols

Push on through to the ChrisA zone!  His help going back and forth with sequentially better versions of the Xilica settings fine tuned for my room made a HUGE improvement for my first active setups.

Once you get the mic, if you need any help setting it up with REW just PM me.  I do computer tech support for a living.

• Thanks 1