Spartan Game Changers

DizRotus

The Michigan State Spartans were ahead of the curve.

It’s interesting that Tony Dungy is the narrator.  Tony played quarterback at Jackson Parkside in Jackson, MI.  Rumor has it he wanted to go to MSU, but they weren’t interested in him as a QB, while Minnesota was.

Several of the players in the photo with Duffy lived in the same dorm as I my freshman year.  It was crazy in those days where football players were required to live in the dorms during season.   As a waiter at the now gone Starboard Tack restaurant, I waited on “The Smilin’ Irishman,” Duffy Daugherty, many times.  Duffy was frequently feeling no pain.

It’s said Bear Bryant called Duffy to alert him to a player in  Beaumont, TX that  Bear would have recruited if Alabama would have allowed it.  Instead, Bubba Smith was a Spartan.

• Like 1

What an uproar that had nationally.  Even more turmoil when WW Hayes started Cornelius Green at QB for Ohio State. Corney is a very good friend on mine and you wouldn't believe the stories. Only took that first game to make a believer out of those sitting in the Shoe thinking WW was nuts.  I can only imagine what went on @ MSU.  

The best keynote speaker at a business convention ever was Magic Johnson.  Pat Riley was scheduled, but he took the Miami job.  Magic was a sub.  Naturally, I sat near the front.  His presentation was excellent.  When he opened it up to questions, I was first.  "What are we going to do about  Mo Ager's shooting slump?"  He laughed and said, "Obviously you're a Spartan."  He explained that Maurice Ager was on the Spartan basketball team and that he was in a slump.  He then related Mo's slump to a slump in business.  He was charming, funny and spoke with credibility about his business experiences.  But I might be biased.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always been a huge Magic fan, he just seems like a genuinely nice guy. 

I'm sure you're seen it, but I really enjoyed an ESPN special about Bird/Magic, and how they hated each other until they did a shoe commercial together. Bird met Magic's Mom, and said "she was just like my Mom", and they've been best friends since. Bird claimed he retired the day that Magic was forced to retire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1