Relax!!! 432 Hz vs 400 Hz concert pitch

wvu80

Which sounds better?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. After watching the video, which sounds better?

• The standard A = 440 Hz
    • The Mother Earth frequency 432 Hz
    • They both sound about the same, I couldn't tell the difference
    • Other (specify)

The current use of A = 440 Hz is standardized for tuning musical instruments around the world but the earth tone is 432 Hz, the ultimate vibrations of the world.  Would music sound better if we tuned in to our natural vibrations, the Shuman Resonance frequencies, the perfect Fibonacci sequence, the healing song of mother earth?

A lot of us fancy ourselves to have pretty good hearing and chase those extra Hz from 20 Hz down down to 16 Hz. But is your hearing really good enough to hear those extra Hertz?

I know what I hear and what I think but what do you think?

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

A lot of us fancy ourselves to have pretty good hearing and chase those extra Hz from 20 Hz down down to 16 Hz. But is your hearing really good enough to hear those extra Hertz?

Hearing it, No not if you're the average human.

I voted as to what I liked better

But my first impression was that dude was a little aggravating to watch. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

Hearing it, No not if you're the average human.

I voted as to what I liked better

Interesting results already!  You are intimating you can't hear the difference, but you had a preference.  Or maybe you're saying you're not the average human?   Hmm.  :P

+++

Since you voted, I went ahead and voted.  I like to think I have a pretty good ear but I couldn't hear any difference whatsoever.  I certainly couldn't tell you one from the other in a listening test if the criteria was "is this music tuned to 432 or 440?"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Interesting results already!  You are intimating you can't hear the difference, but you had a preference.  Or maybe you're saying you're not the average human?   Hmm.  :P

+++

Since you voted, I went ahead and voted.  I like to think I have a pretty good ear but I couldn't hear any difference whatsoever.  I certainly couldn't tell you one from the other in a listening test if the criteria was "is this music tuned to 432 or 440?"

I was not clear with what I said, with the 432 or 440 things I could hear a difference and liked the 432 better, not exactly sure why it just sounded better.

This part..........." Hearing it, No not if you're the average human."...... was about what was in the quote above it about hearing a difference from 20hz and 16hz, humans are not supposed to "hear" that range.

I could hear the difference, and voted for 432hz.

About 20 years ago I bought a new metronome to tune my guitars and it came factory set at 440hz, but it had a little paragraph talking about some people preferred the 432hz setting. I listened to both, and liked the 432 better, just seemed warmer. 

Watching the videos, it was easier for me to hear the difference in pitches when he played something with a higher tone, like Ode to Joy. I didn't hear as much difference when he played Wish You Were Here.

Interesting video Dave, he is a very good guitar player.

• Thanks 1

Westernized scale is so widely accepted... not because it's better

6 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

resonant frequencies.

That only makes sense if your limited musical knowledge is based on the westernized scale... if you're hearing has been "tuned" to this idea of 8 notes to a scale octave, your gonna find comfort with that statement.

Much of music is micro tonal by nature and disregards the idea of a musical scale based on resonance. 

• Like 1

The Pink Floyd track sounded more like it was tuned to 440 which is where my guitars are tuned to the majority of the time.  I have tuned on 432 which does give a different presentation and does alter the "feeling" of the song.  432 seems to add more emotion, darkness, depth, etc., to them.

Since I never play at A432 it just sounds flat to me. Sometimes I wind up at a gig with an old organ on a cold day so pitch is around there, I really have a hard time getting down that low. Most major orchestras in the US play at A442, with European ones at A444. These higher tunings play hell with older instruments (many older woodwinds unusable, brass instruments needing to be cut down). My regular groups are A440 and so my ear is set at A440, takes 30 min. plus to accept A442 but I can adapt. A432 is a much bigger leap.