Wedding Speakers?

ThedukeMW

3 hours ago, ThedukeMW said:

Has anyone used Klipshorns as speakers in a wedding reception?

My guess would be "no" as that would be incredible overkill.  Moving a pair of 175 pound Khorns requires two people, a truck and hours of labor.  It would take incredible luck to lug them out of someone's house and into the reception hall, then reverse the process to get them home again without damaging them. 

And all for what?  To play music through speakers that nobody but you would appreciate?

If you are considering using your beloved Khorns for a wedding as a special wedding gift or something of that nature, my vote would be to rent PA speakers from the local music store.  Believe me, the bride won't care.  B)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

K-Horns would be incredibly hard to move and set up. If you have the manpower, time and experience you could get two Pro LaScalas and build a couple Cinema F-20 horn loaded subs. Make sure you call the local police and have them clean their uniforms so they look nice when they show up. :cool:

• Moderators

Used Cornwall's many years ago, If you were anywhere around this area I could set you up, not Cornwalls but better.

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

My guess would be "no" as that would be incredible overkill. 

And what is this overkill you speak of?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:46 AM, wvu80 said:

My guess would be "no" as that would be incredible overkill.  Moving a pair of 175 pound Khorns requires two people, a truck and hours of labor.  It would take incredible luck to lug them out of someone's house and into the reception hall, then reverse the process to get them home again without damaging them. 

And all for what?  To play music through speakers that nobody but you would appreciate?

If you are considering using your beloved Khorns for a wedding as a special wedding gift or something of that nature, my vote would be to rent PA speakers from the local music store.  Believe me, the bride won't care.  B)

This brought back memories...... In my college days, I once took my Klipschorns out of my dorm room ( 4th floor ) using the freight elevator to a Christmas party and dance  for the employees where I worked. The boss rented an Elks lodge hall for the occasion. Yes, much work for a dinner and dance party but I never forgot the SOUND!  35 foot spacing and perfect corners available for my use. And yes, everyone was in awe of the sound they heard.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Seadog said:

My brother set up Cornwalls for his daughters wedding.  Worked out great.

We used yours (I think it was) one year on the back porch of the farmhouse at Pilgrimage, plenty enough.

post-14182-13819657273486_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, dtel said:

We used yours (I think it was) one year on the back porch of the farmhouse at Pilgrimage, plenty enough.

Those were my brother's.  Same pair he used at my niece's wedding.  He hauled them from Houston to a family reunion in Indiana once to make sure we would have good audio. I guess his motto is "Have Cornwalls, will travel".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I thought you did, I couldn't find a picture, must have been some lost when a hard drive died and they weren't on a disc.

They sounded good and I would think playing louder than at a wedding.

I think it was 2006 ?

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, ThedukeMW said:

Late to this party!!

I used my LaScalas for a wedding.  Also used them for frat parties.

Downside of them is they become a natural place for folks to set their beers so I was constantly floating around removing said items.

Had a DJ service for 15 years 78-93, We did school dances , weddings, parties etc. We were booked almost every weekend of the year. We used La Scalas,  talk about a lot of fun lifting those things around. Some of the halls we did events at were a nightmare to get them in. One in particular I hated was the Elk's club. We had to carry them up the fire escape stairs, because management didn't want the members to be disrupted. I am glad we were young and strong back then, wouldn't want to do it now. We got a lot of business because of those La Scalas, everyone loved the sound of them, and how loud they could be cranked. 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, ThedukeMW said:

Yes, sort of . . .  During my misspent youth in the 70s, I used four Speakerlab SKhorns in a mobile DJ biz. They had enclosed backs.  Using a hand-truck, it was easy to move the 175# speakers, until stairs were involved.  

That said, I would be reluctant to use furniture quality Khorns at a wedding reception.  The potential for injury and hard feelings is too great.

My younger son used two JBL bluetooth speakers that could be linked for stereo operation. Their reception was outside in a huge garden in in the early evening. They streamed a bunch of classical and other orchestral music throughout the evening. No one came to dance, they all had a great time with the food and drinks. Kinda nice, I didn't lose my voice trying to talk over the music.