tube amp match for Klipsch Quartets

John Murray

Hello! First time post. I just bought some Klipsch Quartet speakers a couple weeks ago. They've been on my wishlist for as far as I remember hearing a Heresey. 

They are incredible speakers especially when matched with my tube phono amp Seems like the tubes open up the speakers. I'm curious if anyone has some suggestions on some tube amps. Folks keep telling me to get some FIshers. I've been looking at some Fisher 400's, 500, 800's and the X 100b I believe.  Sadly Mcintosh isn't in the budget and I've heard the newer amps don't sound very tube like? I don't know if that's true or not. Right now I'm using a Sansui AU 9500 with a Vincent tube phono amp. I like the sound of the Sansui but wonder if tubes would be more revealing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. My previous speakers were ADS L 1090's before I found the Quartets.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, John Murray said:

Thank you for the recommendations! I'll keep my eye out for some Fishers and those Bob Latino Dynaco's looks amazing. I may research those amps.

There are a few of us that have Latino amps and are happy with them. It's even more rewarding if you build your own from a kit, if you are into that kind of thing. I also recommend a Dennis Had Inspire amplifier, which is what I'm using with my K-Horns.

2-25.jpg

• Like 1

If you are thinking vintage; Fisher, Scott and Dynaco, are all good brands to consider. Hard to suggest what you might do best with without having mentioned a budget or what kind of music and sound you enjoy.  You also might consider some non tube stuff like the HK430, which I think sounds great with your speakers.  Let us know more and the group can help more.   Warm regards, Tony

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, John Murray said:

Hello! First time post. I just bought some Klipsch Quartet speakers a couple weeks ago. They've been on my wishlist for as far as I remember hearing a Heresey. 

They are incredible speakers especially when matched with my tube phono amp Seems like the tubes open up the speakers. I'm curious if anyone has some suggestions on some tube amps. Folks keep telling me to get some FIshers. I've been looking at some Fisher 400's, 500, 800's and the X 100b I believe.  Sadly Mcintosh isn't in the budget and I've heard the newer amps don't sound very tube like? I don't know if that's true or not. Right now I'm using a Sansui AU 9500 with a Vincent tube phono amp. I like the sound of the Sansui but wonder if tubes would be more revealing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. My previous speakers were ADS L 1090's before I found the Quartets.

If on a tight budget, this little 13w/ch amp is very nice for $500.  So far only 50hrs on it with the supplied tubes and I think for the money it sounds very good.  I have recently order a pair of the psvane kt88-T to try as I have been told the supplied kt88 is not the best.

douk.jpg

s-l1600 inside Douk amp.jpg

psvane kt88-T.jpg

• Like 1

John, I have tube amps and integrated tube amps across every economic spectrum for sale in the garage sale section, as Tarheel noted. You can even visit and listen to the restored ones on a pair of Heresys, or Rf7s, if you are near St. Louis.

Even if you don’t buy anything, you are still welcome to listen. With the colds now over, and the ice storm gone, we again can move about in the Midwest!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recommendations! I finally did pick up a Fisher 400. Crossing fingers it gets here in one piece as it's being shipped.  Right now I'm using a Sansui AU 9500 on the Quartet's. It sounds pretty good. I was using the Sansui on some ADS L 1090's which were also very nice speakers in their own right. I do like the live presence of the Quartet's. I'm curious what the tubes will bring. I know I'll need to go through the Fisher before I use it. I mostly listen to rock, pop, and jazz. Some of the tube amps shown look amazing. Think I may want more down the road... hahaha