Cornscala almost done!

jon91661

You can actually buy the horn kit, it comes in a bunch of pieces.  You have to glue it together, and then the fun starts.   Sanding and finishing is very hard work, and takes a long time to get right.  I have never seen one done the way I did it?  Here is a pic of the innards.   This is the finest version of this speaker that you will ever see.  Never seen one built better?

Regards,,jon

IMG_1598.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/6/2019 at 3:18 PM, jon91661 said:

You can actually buy the horn kit, it comes in a bunch of pieces.  You have to glue it together, and then the fun starts.   Sanding and finishing is very hard work, and takes a long time to get right.  I have never seen one done the way I did it?  Here is a pic of the innards.   This is the finest version of this speaker that you will ever see.  Never seen one built better?

Regards,,jon

IMG_1598.jpg

Very professional job well done.  curious why you choose the bc 75 over the 85 as I thought the 85 was the better driver?

44 minutes ago, jon91661 said:

I made a mistake, it is the 85.   I was thinking about the 75 because it has wider freq range but decided on the 85.  It was a good choice,  sound magnificent with the ALK Crossovers.

Regards,,jon

Ok.  Glad to hear as the de120 and 85 are my choice as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work. Where did you get the plans for the Woofer and mid/high boxes?
I want to build a set and your are the best looking ones I’ve seen so far
I want to use the ALK Universal crossovers

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Like 1

Its all one box, I just made it to look like it is a dual box.    Speaker dimensions are calculated to size of the cornscala, same volume, just different dimensions.   Just makes the speaker taller and a bit slimmer.  It is much more pleasing to look at now as opposed to a cornscala or cornwall.  

Regards,  Jon

• 6 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, jon91661 said:

Regards,,jon

IMG_1598.jpg

Awesome job

• 10 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:28 PM, jon91661 said:

These B&C bass drivers put out prodigious amounts of air movement!

They sure do!  I took a chance and bought 4 of the 18TBX100's almost 10 years ago before B&C became well know.  I actually bought 4 of them for $500 off of a guy who ran a pro sound company... he bought a bunch of extras thinking he would go through them, but the ones he loaded his cabinets with never blew!  So, he was getting rid of some of the overhead.  Bonus! (As these go for $300 each!)

I used 2 of the speakers to build my DJ subs, powered with a crown Comtech 1600 (800 watts per channel)  Wow! I was impressed.  (much better than the EV DL18mt subs I usually used) I planned to use the other 2 remaining 18's to make a total of 4 DJ subs, but there was no need!  I actually foolishly ended up selling the other 2 when I found out we were having a kid and needed to make room.  I should have kept them for a future home audio sub project... however, I still have 2 18" ultimax subs for that, but,  I know the B&C's would have walked circles around the Dayton Ultimax drivers.