Frank Robinson RIP

DizRotus

Gone at 83.  The first 12 years of my life were spent in Cincinnati, so I grew up following this once and former Reds player.  In addition to his HOF playing career, he was the first African-American to manage a major league team, the Cleveland Indians.  More than his baseball skills, he seemed like a fine person.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 8:36 AM, DizRotus said:

Gone at 83.  The first 12 years of my life were spent in Cincinnati, so I grew up following this once and former Reds player.  In addition to his HOF playing career, he was the first African-American to manage a major league team, the Cleveland Indians.  More than his baseball skills, he seemed like a fine person.

Another Buckeye Boy....  I knew there was something I liked about you...

Number of years ago, I was back home visiting (Hamilton area).  As I was leaving in the morning to drive back to Tennessee, I met with an old female friend and her kids for breakfast at Waffle House.  (Fairfield)

As we were eating, there was a guy sitting "over there" with his female companion quietly eating their breakfast.  I looked again....  the waitress must have seen me glancing as she sauntered over and asked me if I recognized him.

I thought that was a curious question from her...but admitted I thought I'd seen him before but couldn't place it.  She asked if I'd like her to take me (and my friends son) over to meet him....as he was a regular visitor here and they 'new' him....  she said he'd love to have a visit.

I said sure!

Spent the next 20 or so minutes talking with George Foster (big Red Machine) and his girlfriend/wife (?).  Was pretty cool as I grew up watching them dominate in the 70's.

One thing I specifically noticed when I was shaking his hand was how soft his hands were.  Given the number of bats he's held, I would have thought them to be pretty callused.

Maybe he uses hand lotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of their menu...

Backstory:  Growing up, we all might have had a hobby or just a weird habit....  my older sister simply LOVED to collect..........  menu's from any restaurant we visited.  No, not dolls, figurines or anything else...  she loved to collect menu's.

Fast forward a couple decades and today, she (and my younger sister as well) both work for Waffle House.  My older sister in fact, is the highest ranking female in the company....  as she was working up the food chain, they went through a decade or so where they thought "Gee, why don't we pick a good employee and feature their cartoon drawing on our menu!!"

So they decided to do that and at one point, chose her.  So now, the kid who loves to collect menu's was featured herself on one.

• Thanks 1