Heresy 3 'Sub'ject

ThomasD.

I've just ordered a pair of unfinished walnut H3's w/o grills & risers. Will be integrating them into a 'mid century style' stereo console that I'm having built for my wife.  It's purpose will be to appease my SO desire (demand) to condense our (my) sound system gear in our (her) living room  from 13 pieces of gear to 3-4 and to give her a new custom piece of furniture as a 15 year anniversary gift (she deserves a lot more for putting up with me for this long).  Yes, I know this subject has been gone over again and again.  I'm not debating the need or lack of need for a sub w/ Heresy's,  I appreciate the depth a sub can add to 2 channel listening but I tend to be a bit of an old 'purist' and like speakers that can produce lows adequately on their own and the H3's perform that task well in my estimation. That being said, this system will rarely be played at higher volumes due to location and the addition of subs for low volume listening does make sense to me.  I only get one chance at the design of this console and think that a pair of small,  8-10" sub enclosures would be kinda cool looking & be a quality sound addition.  They would need to be a sealed design and sit directly under the H3's at either end of the console.  Console will be just under 8' wide, 42" tall (36" actual cabinet height w/6" legs) & 20" deep.  Top of H3's will sit flush w/top & front of console. Room is 16 x 30'  w/17' ceiling & adjacent ancillary rooms.  Equipment will consist of the H3's, (and subs) Marantz 2230 (possibly a future Marantz amp if one comes available & the 2230 would remain as a pre./tuner),  Pro-ject TT (until a nice Vintage TT presents itself locally), Cambridge CD player & a techniques cassette deck.  An R12SW is my current sub and it's used exclusively for HT with a completely different gear source.  Been looking at a pair of these https://www.parts-express.com/powered-dayton-audio-8-250-watt-compact-subwoofer-kit-with-built-in-dsp--300-7150#lblProductDetails

Anyone have experience with these?  Again, not looking for HT subs, want a reasonably priced 2 channel sub. Other suggestions?  Thanks

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

If you're building from scratch you might consider down firing subs.  Make the sub cabinet the length and depth of the cabinet itself.  You can go ported or sealed.

Thought about that but this unit will be on the floor above our B&B rooms.  Don't want really want down firing and would prefer a 'drop in' option for the build.

I've never been a fan of using a sub that's smaller than the woofer(s) in my main speakers.  Why?  I don't know.  It's just me.

I absolutely love the dual SVS SB-2000s that I have paired with my Heresy IIs.  They're very compact, perfect size to set below a Heresy.

• Like 1