I threw together a second system-Fraziers,tubes,etc

kevinmi

After another thread appeared about a pair of Frazier 7's coming up for sale, I had discussions with other Forum members and decided to bring my pair out of the basement. I used some spare equipment and hooked them up. I was totally amazed at how good this hodge-podge system sounded! Here's a list of equipment: Amplifier-Latino ST-120 with vintage Tung-Sol 6550 tubes, a Yahama RXV-850 receiver for the preamp section. Source material includes a Oracle Delphi turntable w/Ortofon 2M Black cart, Pioneer 1050 RTR two track, Pioneer Elite multidisc player. Other speakers in the corners are RF-5's (not hooked up)

2-2019 010=25.jpg

2-2019 014=25.jpg

2-2019 011.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cornman said:

Beautiful room and gear set up . The orange spools on the Reel to Reel make it centerfold quality  !  🤩  Good acoustics me thinks with that Pine and Brick walls .

So how are the Frazier's sounding this  second time around ?

The Fraziers are blowing me away with how good they sound! I was originally planning on moving my Khorns into that room, but I might just rethink everything now.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, kevinmi said:

After another thread appeared about a pair of Frazier 7's coming up for sale, I had discussions with other Forum members and decided to bring my pair out of the basement. I used some spare equipment and hooked them up. I was totally amazed at how good this hodge-podge system sounded! Here's a list of equipment: Amplifier-Latino ST-120 with vintage Tung-Sol 6550 tubes, a Yahama RXV-850 receiver for the preamp section. Source material includes a Oracle Delphi turntable w/Ortofon 2M Black cart, Pioneer 1050 RTR two track, Pioneer Elite multidisc player. Other speakers in the corners are RF-5's (not hooked up)

2-2019 010=25.jpg

2-2019 014=25.jpg

2-2019 011.JPG

Nice.  Never heard of Frazier until recently.  

1 hour ago, glens said:

Hell, the carpet looks that too!

Seeing the images at full resolution, it looks like some moisture has seeped in around some of the screws over time...

there is actually some kind of sealant, like maybe silicone, smeared over the screw heads on the motor board. Looks to be factory, but noticable. The speakers were in the basement for a couple of years also, so moisture is definitely a possibility. And that carpet is from the 70's. It's getting replaced real soon!

1 hour ago, glens said:

Hell, the carpet looks that too!

Seeing the images at full resolution, it looks like some moisture has seeped in around some of the screws over time...

Called Classic 😉

The screws Frazier used would rust over a reasonably short period of time unfortunately.  The good part was the studs they used to go through the motor board to hold the drivers.  That was a nice touch.

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

there is actually some kind of sealant, like maybe silicone, smeared over the screw heads on the motor board. Looks to be factory, but noticable. The speakers were in the basement for a couple of years also, so moisture is definitely a possibility. And that carpet is from the 70's. It's getting replaced real soon!

In the photos it appears as thought there is MDF that has "bloomed" around the screw heads. 

I've done floor covering for a living off and on through the years.  It was a pretty good call on the age, huh?  I'd bet that any seams in that "rug" are sewn and not glued together with hot-melt tape.  And any pad under it that isn't powder now is likely stuck to the floor and rock-hard with need of scraping.  :)

6 minutes ago, glens said:

And any pad under it that isn't powder now is likely stuck to the floor and rock-hard with need of scraping.

That makes me ill just thinking about it...

When we bought our 1962 house, the daughter-in-law of the woman who lived there showed us the house. She said it had pink carpet throughout. They pulled it out, only to find beautiful oak flooring underneath. I'm glad we didn't have to take out the old carpet, although there was a dark red carpet still in the kitchen. The whole kitchen has since been replaced. 😑

1 hour ago, glens said:

In the photos it appears as thought there is MDF that has "bloomed" around the screw heads. 

I've done floor covering for a living off and on through the years.  It was a pretty good call on the age, huh?  I'd bet that any seams in that "rug" are sewn and not glued together with hot-melt tape.  And any pad under it that isn't powder now is likely stuck to the floor and rock-hard with need of scraping.  :)

Actually, I pulled up a big section of carpet, and the foam padding wasn't rotting or stuck to the cement floor, which really shocked me. Now when I pulled up the carpet in the living room, there was a wool pad underneath the carpet foam pad. The wool pad was sitting on rough sawed hardwood, which darkened the wood. I poly-ed the floor and it turned out nice. 

The pictures of the 7's do look like expanded mdf, but it's really not.

finished floor 005-25.jpg

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

... it had pink carpet throughout. They pulled it out, only to find beautiful oak flooring underneath.

Seen it many a time.  Usually there are a bunch of pad staples jammed into the surface, just here and there except at the seams where nice straight continuous lines exist.  So even if the staples are carefully (tediously) picked out instead of scraped up, the flooring will never be as nice again as it once was.  It's almost criminal IMO.

Yup, I pulled a bunch of staples out. Not many in from the walls, thankfully, mostly around the edges. Still beats the pink...

The master bath (the small kind from houses in the early '60s) still has a pink sink. We have two bathrooms to get done at some point. The kitchen was costly enough.

Sorry to thread crap, Kevin.

Would love to hear some Fraziers. Almost bought a pair of Dixielanders but they were a little high for the shape they were in.

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

Yup, I pulled a bunch of staples out. Not many in from the walls, thankfully, mostly around the edges. Still beats the pink...

The master bath (the small kind from houses in the early '60s) still has a pink sink. We have two bathrooms to get done at some point. The kitchen was costly enough.

Sorry to thread crap, Kevin.

Would love to hear some Fraziers. Almost bought a pair of Dixielanders but they were a little high for the shape they were in.

When I bought my house 5 years ago, everything was pink also. The countertops in the kitchen, and even the stove! 

I've seen quite a few Dixielanders for sale on epay. Must have been a pretty popular speaker.