CF3's versus Forte? Upgrade or downgrade?

Emile

Hi All,

Hoping to get some more advise :D  Using Forte I's in a small stereo room (12x12x8ft); driven by a Marantz 1060.  Sounds pretty good for this setup ... of course horrible compared to my KPT-904's :D  Found some CF3's locally (2.5inch ports, so version 2 or 3) and was wondering if this might be an "upgrade." :) 

OK; for part 2 of the question I'm complicating it a bit :D  Playing with BOTH Forte I's AND K-510 horns (B&C 75 drivers). Using the K-510's over 500Hz and the Forte's as "bass bins" under 500+ Hz.  Not much bass from these 12" Forte woofers. Was thinking the dual 10" CF3 woofers would do better :D  Any thoughts?

Many thanks, Emile

Add-on ... yes; would get CF4's in a heartbeat ... but impossible to find :( 

Hi @geoff. Thanks; just found some of your reviews in the "EPIC owners" thread also ... great info. Yes; love the "dual woofers" in my 904's :)  CF3's will never get to that level, but should they would be better than the single 12" woofer from the Forte. Might not make much sense, but 2x10"squared is much larger than 12"squared :D 

Cheers, Emile

Me personally, I'd take the CF-3's, too.  Those were definitely some of the best sounding speakers I owned for a broad range of music and volume.  They are fairly efficient but do love some power.  Forte's are a little picky on placement with that rear firing passive as are rear ported speakers.  The CF-3's are quite forgiving.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, avguytx said:

Me personally, I'd take the CF-3's, too

18 hours ago, rockhound said:

CF3 without hesitation. Like Kip said above you will need to put some watts to them.

Thanks guys :D  OK, if they look decent enough (yummy; walnut :D ) I'll go on a 4 hour trip next week.  Re "power" ... yes think my Marantz 1060 may not be enough ... so; just made a guy an offer on a Crown XLS402 ... 350W/ch ought to be fine :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Might not make much sense, but 2x10"squared is much larger than 12"squared

More like the area of 2 x 8" dia. is larger than the area of 1 x 10" dia. but even though you're looking at ~1.3:1, the "1.3" is driven by two motor assemblies so should be better-controlled.  "Faster" bass if that's truly possible...  On the other hand, two nearby sources of the same information can have some drawbacks, too.

Too bad you can't perform a double-blind test, hahaha!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Spend it man!!!   :)

Haha ... yes; but I'm cheap also :D  If these CF3's are not "close" to Pro speakers it will be wasted money :(  In which case I'd better just build a "bass bin" with pro 12" duals :D 

• Like 1

The output of the B&C75 is 108db, more between 500 and 5000hz.

The best we can expect from ANY bass bin, dual (15”) woofers or folded horn, is maybe 104 db. It’s probably almost 100db in the CF-3...

The output of the HF section is going to be at least twice that of the bass, with a really pronounced midrange and less than sparkling highs, all other things being equal.

Without equal bass output, a passive crossover with filters designed for the specific HF driver, or an active with the correct eq will be essential to the sound we both know is out there.

A band-aid solution in the meantime might be a 15 or 31 band eq with “the big smile” other members have suggested. An L-pad has crossed my mind too.

Unmolested CF-3’s are probably going to sound better than anything we could jerry-rig without REW AND an active crossover, and bigger bass bins, lol.

But I can’t for the life of me see why I wouldn’t try the K510 on a top of a the CF-3’s myself just to find out!

Did you get ‘em?

• Like 1

Well close is subjective but I can tell you to me they were closer to what I love about the 904's. I think you will like them since you love the 904. Now my opinion is based on the cf4's I owned but still the sonic signature and IMPACT should be similar.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, rockhound said:

what have you discovered since buying these?

Love them :D  Mine are version 2's, so can modify to v1 if needed. Think they are much better than my Forte I's - so sold those :) 

Dynamic, punchy and sharp. Read about toning down the horns, but to my ears (love horns) they are pretty well matched.  Have not tried bi-amping them yet. Am running them with a Marantz 1060 (about 40wpc), but just bought a Kenwood Basic M2 (220wpc) ... seller is delivering it this Sunday ... haha; I should get 120dB's out of this (used in a small room).

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Emile said:

Love them :D  Mine are version 2's, so can modify to v1 if needed. Think they are much better than my Forte I's - so sold those :) 

Dynamic, punchy and sharp. Read about toning down the horns, but to my ears (love horns) they are pretty well matched.  Have not tried bi-amping them yet. Am running them with a Marantz 1060 (about 40wpc), but just bought a Kenwood Basic M2 (220wpc) ... seller is delivering it this Sunday ... haha; I should get 120dB's out of this (used in a small room).

Cheers, Emile

Oh yes just wait until you put some juice to them...… The EPIC series was my favorite from the consumer line.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1