K-402 Test Drive

Dave A

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

It's a prototype 1502 that he got from the Chief... nice, isn't it?

2 hours ago, babadono said:

See

It's true it was a prototype from Roy and it's just a few inches smaller than the 1802 and 3 Db less, like I would get to it's full potential to miss the 3 Db's. We love it, it is a very musical sub and even when everything is vibrating is never sounds strained, very detailed and clean sounding. It's the first time my wife really liked the effects of a sub, never was crazy about them before.

I had to laugh looking at that thread again when I saw that first pic. Christy told me to go over and get behind Roy and Kevin for a picture, so I did, just at the right time for the pic Roy grabbed the back of my leg and I was jumping and trying to get out of the way right when she took the pic, it's why we were all laughing.   

I still owe Roy a bunch of carwashes, he never even got the first one yet, hope he doesn't notice.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am lucky, lucky to have good friends, we have a good time together and look forward to hanging out, either here, Lafayette LA (Kevins) or Hope with Roy.

We get together regularly, not the reason but one of the reasons we volunteer at the Museum it is work but fun, another reason to get together. And it's why we help with pilgrimage, we have met some really nice people over the years. 

All the speaker stuff is not as important, honestly. The last things you are going to think about is family and friends, not much else.

Anyway yes, we think it does sound great and use it every day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Build a pair of my Quarter Pie Bass Horns, which are an MWM derivative. They use 40% less floor space, cost about $200 each (or less if you use MDF) and only give up 6 hz. on the bottom in doing so. Plus they are smoother.

That would be a great option if I had the tools and abilities to build a horn 

10 hours ago, Jim Gregory said:

That would be a great option if I had the tools and abilities to build a horn 

You can get all the main cuts done at Home Depot. Cut 2 4x8 sheets in half, then all the rest are 15 3/4" Rip cuts. From there you can just buy a cheap Sabre saw for the rest. Just sayin' and it's worth it sound wise.

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hmm, you actually said this or did your doppelganger?

While it would NOT be my personal choice, I had to mention it from a lower price point of view (cheapskates of the world UNITE). Sound waves from electro-magnetic transducers don't care, as long as the horn is stiff and doesn't leak air, except at the mouth, of course.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You can get all the main cuts done at Home Depot. Cut 2 4x8 sheets in half, then all the rest are 15 3/4" Rip cuts. From there you can just buy a cheap Sable saw for the rest. Just sayin' and it's worth it sound wise.

Your right, a table saw is nice but you can do it with any skill saw, just get a nice straight edge, anything straight that can be clamped to the board to guide the saw will work. I have done this when wood was too big to handle on a table saw, works fine. 

9 hours ago, dtel said:

Your right, a table saw is nice but you can do it with any skill saw, just get a nice straight edge, anything straight that can be clamped to the board to guide the saw will work. I have done this when wood was too big to handle on a table saw, works fine. 

Yep, I built my original "CornScalas" (I never called them that back then, but that's what they were) back in 1975 using the very same method you describe. My best friend/speaker builder is a world class carpenter. He taught me that trick. Heck I even MITERED all the lumber at 45 degrees with that clamp on straight edge, so they looked even better than factory Birch Cornwalls!

• Like 1

Here's the photographic evidence I just found in storage. I started building speakers at 12 years old. The white monsters I built in my mom's garage at 19 years old in 1973 had Altec 421 8H woofer, 808 8a drivers, and EV T-35 Tweeters. The "World's FIRST CornScalas" had Eminence woofers, Speakerlab Mid Horns (K400 metal copies), Atlas Drivers. and EV Tweeters. I build my own Crossovers from Scratch, like I did in the White Monsters (20 cubic feet). The "CornScala) sounded as good with less cabinet volume in cubic feet. I was just a kid living in a mobile home with ExPando living room at the time. This was taken 2 years before I became a professional photographer, obviously!

Please ignore the "Tijuana Hitchhiker." Crown Reel to Reel, McIntosh C26 pre amp, DBX dynamic expander, PWK's center channel "mini box," feeding a Dynaco Stereo 400 and SWTP Monobloc amps, both built from kits. About a year later, all the home built speakers were replaced with 2 KCBR Klipschorns and a single center LaScala.

WallOsound1976web.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Oh yea, your permanently addicted, don't even fight it there is no use.

Never, we all love good, clean noise called music and movies, don't we?

I should add, that as soon as I got Khorns and a LaScala, I sold the big power amps and got smaller ones, twin Dynacos at 75 Watts per channel and and LED power meter, where I noticed 10 Watt peaks on very loud music, so it was still overkill power.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Bachelor Midrange and Tweeter Test Lab, yes, but music and movies in between. No girls allowed.........ok, just ONE, but she has to show up with wine in evening gown.

You forgot to add, she will bring a good Pizza too! 

On 2/9/2019 at 9:35 AM, dtel said:

Shop, I have that problem inside.

No one wants to touch the stereo stuff so it's left up to me, I do it when it starts to aggravate me, I don't aggravate easily= dusty.

1" will add considerable weight but also strength, why not the sides also and 3/4" for the rest, that would give it a different look. Kind of like the Lascala compared to the LaScala ll, much better looking to me. It's not that much more wood for the sides the top and bottom is the biggest part.

Are you going to add handles? I didn't and they're not the easiest things to move, so I don't. 

I never used the Duratex stuff but like the way it looks, I didn't know you could color it.

I wanted wood after looking at an old picture someone posted here, it was the first ones I had seen in wood. I don't know who had them but I liked it, this was the pic.   

mwm'. (2).jpg

Cute blonde!  A bit tall, though.