Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dave A

K-402 Test Drive

Recommended Posts

It's probably the software, it will not let you use some words, but your still right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just have to get creative with the asterisks when posting. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dave A I got my popcorn ready Dave! Glad you finally hooked the 402's up they are truly special but you really just have to hear them to understand. For me these are the end of the road. Mine are currently broken down and stored I have been considering building boxes for them and sticking them out in the garage so I can hear them from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s magic in the 402, took me a little while to get mine dialed in, but when you do it is a different level of music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockhound said:

For me these are the end of the road.

The same thought I had, I'm done.

11 minutes ago, totalcomfort said:

There’s magic in the 402, took me a little while to get mine dialed in, but when you do it is a different level of music.

Very true, I have not heard better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the end of the road for me too. I am sure I can spend more money and find a way to something better than the S MWM's and the 402's but quite frankly I am not interested. My next efforts will all be in the area of improving the files I listen to. Just for giggles I have some speaker build projects with a set of Chorus I parts and I am going to make a set of 1" baltic birch  bass bins like the KPT-456's for future use. I may not have this much space forever so I want something in hand I can listen to if that space loss happens and the 456 bass bins and a set of 402's would be admirable replacements for the big boys.

  I read about TAD's and special electronics but right now I am unmoved by any of it. Yes I have been exposed to revelations along the way that only hearing in person can make like these 402's have been and the MCM 1900's have been and as far as that goes the KPT-456's. I don't need more or better to make me happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I read about TAD's and special electronics but right now I am unmoved by any of it.

I have heard the TAD's they are very good, easy to hear a good bit of difference. But I can not spend that much to change out drivers even if they are better, I don't blame people who do but not for me. Plus they are rare.

 

Electronics, that can be a never-ending thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dtel said:

I have heard the TAD's they are very good, easy to hear a good bit of difference. But I can not spend that much to change out drivers even if they are better, I don't blame people who do but not for me. Plus they are rare.

 

Electronics, that can be a never-ending thing. 

That's right. I can admire what someone else has but what I will have is good enough for me and better than what 95% of the "audiophiles" will ever hear anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave A said:

I read about TAD's and special electronics but right now I am unmoved by any of it

 

I have an extra TAD laying around if you'd like to try it for a while to see if you ......get moved by it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coytee said:

 

I have an extra TAD laying around if you'd like to try it for a while to see if you ......get moved by it!

 

 

Thanks for the offer but I will pass on it. Have any rack mount preamp recommendations? I have an Integra 50.4 I can use but it is huge and I am not all that crazy about how it sounds as an amp. Maybe the preamp part is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coytee said:

 

I have an extra TAD laying around if you'd like to try it for a while to see if you ......get moved by it!

 

 

So do you use TAD's now on your Jubs, I don't remember who has what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, CECAA850 said:

I was referring to the 402.

There was/is a whole thread on a wood 402 clone. Don't know if anyone has succeeded in the endeavour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave A said:

Thanks for the offer but I will pass on it. Have any rack mount preamp recommendations? I have an Integra 50.4 I can use but it is huge and I am not all that crazy about how it sounds as an amp. Maybe the preamp part is better.

Dave passing on a free trial spared from TADism and further loss of cash by way of Beryllium Phobia.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Dave passing on a free trial spared from TADism and further loss of cash by way of Beryllium Phobia.

It's easy to do. That last 5% or less of potential improvement costs way to much for me. Those 1132's are good enough for me and I have extras of those.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave congratulations on the 402’s. I recently acquired a pair and now looking for a pair of Pass Labs Aleph 2 amplifiers. If you happen to hear of some please

please let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Gregory said:

Dave congratulations on the 402’s. I recently acquired a pair and now looking for a pair of Pass Labs Aleph 2 amplifiers. If you happen to hear of some please

please let me know. 

Your neighborhood entertainment center just gets bigger and bigger.  You need a set of Super MWM's to go with those 402's. Try blowing anything up lately?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to try a smaller version mwm. I’m investigating a pair of JL Audio F212

I have been keeping it at a moderate volume lately. But if and when the opportunity presents itself “I’m going to go Live” lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim Gregory said:

I would love to try a smaller version mwm. I’m investigating a pair of JL Audio F212

I have been keeping it at a moderate volume lately. But if and when the opportunity presents itself “I’m going to go Live” lol

Build a pair of my Quarter Pie Bass Horns, which are an MWM derivative. They use 40% less floor space, cost about $200 each (or less if you use MDF) and only give up 6 hz. on the bottom in doing so. Plus they are smoother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dtel said:

So do you use TAD's now on your Jubs, I don't remember who has what? 

 

I do.  I bought the third to mate up with the K510 that was going to be my center JubeScala (building the 510 inside the top)  but...  my father in law had to pass on and my wife had to choose his buffet "that is a nice piece of furniture that would cost a fortune today"  (or something like that) and she has it in the spot where the LaScala would be going...

 

Ultimately, I've given the LaScala away, finally giving in to the reality that it will never go in as a center.

 

Can't yet quite get myself to give up the K510 nor TAD so they sit in the closet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dtel, what's that huge cabinet in the middle of your system?  I don't think it's one of the mighty 1802 subs, but it's a similar size.  Just wondering.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...