Question about dormant MM phono cartridges....

Mighty Favog

Hi guys,

I have a Shure V15xMR that I haven't played in many years. It does have quite a few miles on it when I was making compilation cassettes.

I started playing it a few weeks ago and it just isn't as clear as it used to be. Now, I could order a Jico stylus stylus for it (a lot more affordable than the original stylus if it could even be had at all) but another thought came to mind from a post in another thread.

My question is, can a cartridge wear out or could it even degrade from it not being played?

I have a couple of backup catridges. A Stanton P888ss (Godzilla bicept claw) and a very low mileage Ortofon VMS-30 MkII. I'm liking the Ortofon pretty good but that could be from the degradation of the Shure.  My favorite is/was the Shure as I thought the Ortofon sounded a bit relaxed.

Tonight I played a low-mileage copy of Robert Cray's "Strong Pursuader" and the Ortofon and enjoyed it thoroughly. 

A local hi-fi shop that generally knows what they're talking about told me that MM styli can lose their magnetism over 5-10 years, so it's a good idea to replace them even if they don't have much wear on them.  If the Jico stylus is not that pricy, it might be the way to go.

O.k., let me throw this in the mix and see if your suggestions are the same. The Ortofon is probably 36-years old and the Shure is about 18-years old. But the Ortofon is sounding better between the two (I know, two differend mfgrs using different designs and parts).

The Jico replacement, I think I saw it for, $187 on eBay. MSRP is maybe an additional $100. Retipping is even more than that from Soundsmith.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

It seems to me that the magnets in a cartridge could lose strength over time, whether MM or MC.  I question whether replacing a stylus addresses the problem.  Every replaceable stylus I’ve seen is a tube; no magnets.

The moving magnets of moving magnet cartridges are on the other end of the cantilever from the stylus.  The movement of the stylus moves the magnets and generates the sound signal.

6 hours ago, Islander said:

The moving magnets of moving magnet cartridges are on the other end of the cantilever from the stylus.  The movement of the stylus moves the magnets and generates the sound signal.

It appears my understanding of the magnet location in a MM cartridge may be incorrect.  I’d assumed the magnets stayed inside the cartridge when the stylus was removed, as suggested by the first attached drawing.  The magnet appears to be too large to fit through the “rubber suspension.”  It appeared to me that the cantilever is inserted into and through a flexible bushing (fulcrum) and then into the magnets suspended inside the cartridge.  In which case, changing the stylus to address wear or damage to the tip would not effect the magnets.  The second drawing shows a magnet in blue at the end of the cantilever that is no larger than the cantilever and could be replaced with the replacement of the stylus.

The cartridges with which I’m most familiar are the Stanton 681EEEs used in my mobile DJ business in the 70s.  The third attached photo shows the diameter of cantilever to be smaller than the tube that goes into the cartridge body, which could mean the magnets were changed with the replacement of the stylus.

In my case, my Denon DL-110 is MC without a replaceable stylus.  Since I only use it to rip vinyl to FLAC files, it will outlive me.

The final photo has nothing to do with the discussion other than to remind me how well the analogue system works despite itself.

B06A529F-B3B7-4299-89C2-A432D020958C.jpeg

CBFD37BD-2D62-4940-BA05-FDFD4C19C2B2.png

32209793-3569-4CD1-95D8-1C529EB3FCDB.jpeg

A3E96EF9-3E4E-48D8-86C9-19CA5303EDE2.jpeg

30 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I’m looking for a cartridge to use in my newly acquired Dual 1229 to play 78s to rip the to FLAC files.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Will this work?  I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

20190209_081042.jpg

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Will this work?  I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

20190209_081042.jpg

I don’t know, will it?  Does it claim suitability for playing 78s?  Send me a PM Carl.  Better yet, I’m sending you a contact PM momentarily.  Please call me, but not between 2 PM and 5 PM (EST), as I’ll be watching the Spartans try to avoid a fourth consecutive loss.

Which one is it?

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I don’t know, will it?  Does it claim suitability for playing 78s?  Send me a PM Carl.  Better yet, I’m sending you a contact PM momentarily.  Please call me, but not between 2 PM and 5 PM (EST), as I’ll be watching the Spartans try to avoid a fourth consecutive loss.

Which one is it?

Good talking with you Neil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

I'm liking this.

So there shouldn't be anythjng else inside the body that might have built-up dirt or corrosion on it to keep it from moving or receiving a signal?

There shouldn't be, but in some climates there may be.  I never cease to be amazed by what the Hawaiian climate can dish out.

Wow it’s been decades since I had the Shure V15xMR..🙂

I had very low use since I would play an LP through a couple of times and record them on my Nakamichi LX5 back in the day.

Anyway after many years I noticed things weren’t sounding as clear with some distortion and sent the cartridge back to Shure (It had a lifetime guarantee) and the rubber needle suspension had hardened over time was the reported problem. Received it back from Shure and all was good again in my case.

miketn

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Wow it’s been decades since I had the Shure V15xMR..🙂

I had very low use since I would play an LP through a couple of times and record them on my Nakamichi LX5 back in the day.

Anyway after many years I noticed things weren’t sounding as clear with some distortion and sent the cartridge back to Shure (It had a lifetime guarantee) and the rubber needle suspension had hardened over time was the reported problem. Received it back from Shure and all was good again in my case.

miketn

Hmmmmmm....now there's a thought. Maybe I'll call them to make sure they do this.