Question about dormant MM phono cartridges....

Mighty Favog

Now that Shure cartridges have been discontinued, many Shure fans, myself included, bought a replacement stylus or two, thinking that we'd be set for years.  However, it occurs to me now that in 5 or 10 years, those styli may be past their best due to suspension hardening and possible loss of magnetism, even if they're still sitting unused in their boxes.  Bummer!

I was talking with the son of my college roommate,  who is an upper level Shure employee, about Shure's decision to get out of the cartridge business.  We agreed it seems ill-timed given the renewed interest in vinyl. 

It's worth a call to Shure, but I would not be surprised if they say, "Sorry, we're no longer in the cartridge business."

There is cheap and there is cheap. Their are hundreds of new carts out there for under $200.  The first thing I do on a newly acquired table is retire the cart. Don't get me wrong I do have NOS carts which I'm not afraid to mount, but I'm never disappointed if they don't light my fire.  For all you know, you stopped using that cart years ago because it was starting to sound bad.  Carts are not like an old amp, rebuilding them, aside from needle swap as an experiment, is usually not worth it. More than the needles wear out and when they wear out they take your vinyl with them.

Man up and look for something new.

• Like 1