RF-7 or RF-7 II which is better for HT

dademorrison79

Hello,
recently I have the opportunity to buy both the first series RF-7 and RF-7 II and I'm very undecided, my use is almost exclusively in HT combined with a Denon AVR-X7200WA.

The same is true for the central channel, can I buy both RC-7 and RP450-CA, which sounds better in HT?

Thank you

Davide

p.s. sorry for my english 

11 minutes ago, dademorrison79 said:

The same is true for the central channel, can I buy both RC-7 and RP450-CA, which sounds better in HT?

I would think the original RF-7s and RC-7 would be preferable because the RP450-CA isn't voice-matched to the RF-7IIs.

11 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I prefer the RF7 II.  The top end is a bit smoother.  The original RF7 get a bit harsh at high volume

Fwiw, mine never get harsh at high volume. 

• Like 1

Yeah, if you get the RF7 II’s, you’ll want the RC-64 II over the RP450C. If the 64 isn’t an option, and HT is your main focus, I’d go RF-7/RC-7 combo all day.

Full disclosure, I’ve never owned a RC-7 but everyone here raves about it. I have, however, owned the RP450 and RC-64. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dademorrison79 said:

Which is better as a central channel?

Someone has listened to RC64 and RC7, which sounds better for the voices?

I have heard both and the RC7 imo is far superior. It's more like a main than any center I have ever heard. In fact I'm using a pair for mains right now and they are simply incredible operating as such. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

+1 on the original RF-7 / RC-7 combo great set some say the RF-7 II is smoother but I disagree and the RF-7 II has a nasty "peak" that will damn near run you out of the room I couldn't stand it when I had mine. 

I replied about the RC7 comparison as I have actually owned both but never any RF7 II's

I do have (4) RF7's though and I think they're all smooth as heck. In fact I am listening to a pair hooked up to a Sansui 9090db as I type and they are simply marvelous.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Youthman said:

The original RF7 get a bit harsh at high volume

I have to agree...but....that was hooked to Onkyo and such avrs. When I got a Rotel pre and a big Rotel amp I never heard a  harsh note. As to the rc7 v 64, I had both, the rc7 is the clear winner to me. I still have two I may never part with, I've heard none better. They simply pound out the bass on concerts, dvda/ sacd.

Also...when I went to buy new 7IIs they were so ugly compared to 7's I disliked them immediately. I still gave em' a good audition but didn't really care for the new sound compared to originals. Beauty is in the eye so that's just imo......

I owned the RC-64 version 1 and currently have the RC-64 III.  It is very clear for male and female voices.  It is so clear you (probably your wife) can play it at very low volume and still hear clearly.  When you turn it up loud the sound still sounds very clear.  The RC-64 is one of the best centers Klipsch ever made.  I think you will be very happy with it if that's what you get.

I have not heard the RC-7 but it has legendary status among Klipsch center speakers.  I have a preference for 6.5 to 7 inch woofers for dialog.

The RF-7 and RF-7 II are very close in sound.  The original RF-7 had a high frequency harshness most owners would notice and did not like.  This is very easy to fix with the addition of a $1 part and the sound becomes just like the RF-7 II.  If you get the RF-7 get back to us and we can point you to some threads which show you how to add the 10 Ohm resistor.

17 minutes ago, dademorrison79 said:

this is very interesting... thanks 

You bet! 

What I find interesting is that you have a used market for Klipsch in Italy as you seem to have a way to pick up some older Klipsch speakers, all of them excellent choices.  I would not have guessed that.

If your market is like ours then you can save some euros by picking up the RF-7's instead of the RF-7 II's.  If you don't mind doing some minor work with a soldering iron you can change the RF-7 so they both sound almost identical.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Se il tuo mercato è come il nostro, puoi risparmiare qualche euro raccogliendo gli RF-7 invece degli RF-7 II. Se non ti dispiace fare un po 'di lavoro con un saldatore, puoi cambiare l'RF-7 in modo che suonino entrambi identici.

Actually I can get RF7 II at the same price as RF I, but if you tell me that they need to be modified to play with RF7 II, it means that RF7 II sounds better than RF7 I ???

Otherwise why should I modify RF7 I? ....

p.s. In Italy there are several old Klipsch, the most difficult to find are the KLF 20 and 30.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dademorrison79 said:

but if you tell me that they need to be modified to play with RF7 II, it means that RF7 II sounds better than RF7 I ???

Both are good speakers. I own the RF-7/RC-7. I listen to them pretty much every night for 15 years and will tell you they don't need to be modified.  That said, the original RF-7s were discontinued quite some time ago and if you are talking about used speakers then there may be other things to consider, but the availability of the proper center channel should be at the top of your list....Fwiw, the RC-64II was voice-matched to the RF-7II and my guess is with either one you will be satisfied but it's easy for me to spend your Euros. :) Good luck and if you have a chance to go listen to them yourself I would do it. 

1 hour ago, dademorrison79 said:

Actually I can get RF7 II at the same price as RF I, but if you tell me that they need to be modified to play with RF7 II, it means that RF7 II sounds better than RF7 I ???

Otherwise why should I modify RF7 I? ....

If you can get either of them for the same price I would suggest the RF-7 II.  It is a newer model and should sound good as it is.

I would normally advise getting the RC-64 but from reading the posts above the guys who own both are advising you get the RC-7.  It sounds like you can't go wrong with either one.

• Like 1