Elekit USB-DAC MODULE [ PS-3249R ]

MeloManiac

http://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/PS-3249R

I'm planning on building my first DIY tube amp kit (the Elekit TU8200)

One of the options is adding a built in DAC module.

specs:

- Power supply system: USB bus power
(Possible to modify to self-power system to supply external power)
- Operation system: Windows XP or higher, Mac OS X or higher
- USB: 1.1 or 2.0
- Sampling rate: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz
- DAC resolution: 16bit
- Output distortion rate: 0.014% (USB bus power)
- Frequency response: 10Hz-22.5kHz (1kHz)
- PCB size: 97x45mm

I'm wondering if the specs of this module are good enough and futureproof.

Also, it is listed as compatible with Windows OS and Mac OS, but I'm running Linux (Ubuntu Studio). Is linux going to work with this module?

Okay, I looked at the product page.  All they're saying re supported OS is that the device presents itself as an USB audio module.  If that's true then no worries with your Ubuntu.  Worst case would be you'd have to add a definition to a text file and recompile something.  Very easy to do but quite unlikely in this case.  Quite quite.

I have some usb audio intedfaces that work fine in my DAW on linux. All the inputs and outputs. Most don't work with usb3, but usb2 devices are usually no problem at all. That will get better as time passes, of course.

16 bits is a bit shallow in terms of capability these days, but in my experience and opinion it's entirely sufficient.

Depending on what you plan to feed it, it should do well.  You may have to run higher bit-depth stuff through audacity first unless that card will take care of that on its own.  Can you find the maker's documentation?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

So ok for Linux.

And what about

- Sampling rate: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz
- DAC resolution: 16bit

Is that good enough?

This is not very good compared to newer DACs.  Should be at least a Sampling rate of 96kHz and resolution of 24bit.  192kHz or 384kHz would be subjective better depending on what you are using for input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

I agree with the last three posts. You’d be better off with a separate DAC. If you start with an inexpensive one you can always upgrade, which won’t be an option with the built-in DAC.

Agreed, buying anything that locks you into one solution and you can not upgrade a component as standards change is not cost effective  or a good idea.

• Like 1