K-31-E

Bigdnfay1

I contacted Simply Speakers a couple years ago and they told me this woofer is not repairable and that it's basically a "throw away woofer".

Bob Crites has a replacement woofer. Ciare speakers also make a suitable replacement as well, which is what I use including a few other forum members.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are in luck there is a used stock woofer on eBay right now these are very rare and hard to find on the used market:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-K-31-K-12-Woofer-For-KLF-30-speaker-Very-good-condition-2/173735242601?hash=item28736d6b69:g:bhEAAOSwGWJcOMWq

2 hours ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

I've done a search without much luck. My question: Is their a recone kit for the K-31-E or K?

BigD

• 1 year later...

Simply Speakers sells a 70 dollar poly mica 12" woofer with 5 mm excursion, but the Re is 7.1, and the KLF-30 original drivers are 5.8. Power handling is similar. Has anyone used the Simply Speakers W-1248 12" Poly/Mica cone 150 watt butyl surround woofer in the KLF-30? The amplifier for it is a Carver. 600 watts into 4 ohm.  In the Legend series KLF-30 towers, the 2 woofers are in parallel, and are 8 ohm each like the W-1248. My concern is the lower (by 2 db 91 vs. 93) sensitivity and the Re. The cutout is a good fit.

The most important numbers are Fs,  Qts, VAS, and efficiency (the others are important but less so). Compare with the K-31 (those numbers are listed in the JAES article on the Jubilee (and somewhere on the forum)). Are you using this in a ported design (eg KLF30) or a horn design (Jubilees)? Remember the crossover may also need to be redesigned (more than "hey it sounds good")

On 2/9/2019 at 7:24 AM, Bigdnfay1 said:

I've done a search without much luck. My question: Is their a recone kit for the K-31-E or K?

I'd think if you have the speakers (with serial numbers on them) you could just buy new replacements directly from Klipsch, no??

• 2 months later...

I got 2 K-31-K drivers from Klipsch...they are not K-31-E. In fact they are doped paper made in China. The E is graphite composite, or carbon composite I believe. A polymer graphite composite cone. rubber surround. The K driver fits, like others, but are NOT a similar driver. Klipsch failed to inform me. I have 2 good K-31-E, and 2 good K-31-K. I have looked and looked for a driver, and for services to fix the voice coil in the 2 blown K-31-E's I have. They work but were overheated and scrape the magnet gap. I may just give a go at repairing them myself.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, PrestonTom said:

The most important numbers are Fs,  Qts, VAS, and efficiency (the others are important but less so). Compare with the K-31 (those numbers are listed in the JAES article on the Jubilee (and somewhere on the forum)). Are you using this in a ported design (eg KLF30) or a horn design (Jubilees)? Remember the crossover may also need to be redesigned (more than "hey it sounds good")

The Klipsch Legend... KLF-30

20 minutes ago, edwardcase2018@outlook.com said:

I got 2 K-31-K drivers from Klipsch...they are not K-31-E. In fact they are doped paper made in China. The E is graphite composite, or carbon composite I believe. A polymer graphite composite cone. rubber surround. The K driver fits, like others, but are NOT a similar driver. Klipsch failed to inform me. I have 2 good K-31-E, and 2 good K-31-K. I have looked and looked for a driver, and for services to fix the voice coil in the 2 blown K-31-E's I have. They work but were overheated and scrape the magnet gap. I may just give a go at repairing them myself.

K 31 K  Is a factory woofer , made by klipsch  OEM  -----K 31 E is Eminence OEM  , but both should have the same parameters , so both should sound the same ---------

check the part number on your K31 K - If it is  part number #1067961 , these are used in the Jubilee as we speak, and in all current production JUBS  -

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have heard that the KLF-20 is regarded to have better bass than the KLF-30 because the enclosure on the KLF-30 is technically too small for the K31 woofers.  I believe the VAS of the original K-31 is 386 liters, whereas the VAS for the Ciare HW321 is only 205 liters.  Wouldn’t that be an improvement?

Both speakers have the exact same impedance (Re): 5.7 ohms, and sensitivity 93dB.  

The major differences seem to be Fs of 19hz for the K31 vs 27hz for the Ciare, and Qts of 0.185 (K-31) vs 0.33 (Ciare HW321).  

What does that tell us about using the Ciare HW321 as a replacement for the K31 in the KLF-30?

Edited by alanhuth
typo

I had a pair of KLF20's that I parted with last year.  When I purchased them sight unseen shipped from Florida, they had 2 bad woofers with voice coil rub.  Ugh!  That was annoying!  Seeing as there were no OEM replacements to be found at the time, I decided to try the 10" Ciare HW251N drivers after hearing good things about the Ciare HW321 people used in their KLF 30's.  Well, they were decent. I wasn't floored and didn't notice any substantial improvement. A little more money than I wanted to be investing in the set.(mid $500 range shipped to my shop.)  However, I had some Dayton DSA270-8's in the shop waiting on another project, and I decided to drop them in to see what they would sound like. Couldn't hurt right?  Needless to say, the Ciare's went up for sale on eBay the next day.  Not only did the Daytons sound tighter, but they looked less like an aftermarket driver slapped in the cabinet as well.  (They were in the low $300 range shipped when I purchased them)  I know a lot of people one here use Dayton electronic components and the ultimax line of subwoofers, but I would recommend looking at the DSA270-8's as an option for the KLF 20.