ki-396-sma-ii Vs Kl-362

Jvitti1970

If the above picture is the 362, then it's 3 way and the 396 is a 2-way.

I've never heard the 362.  I have heard the 396 and it's a fantastic sounding speaker.

If I were to buy blind, I'd nudge someone towards the 396, not because it can play loud...but more because it's a 2-way.  Losing that crossover point will increase the intelligibility of the speaker and it will sound better as you sit closer.

(my opinion in general and, my experience with the Khorns vs Jubilee)

12 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

I guess because the 362 is a 3 way design some people asume its better @Coytee

I think in some instances that is probably true but with these two models I believe the quality of the horn driver and crossover along with the much larger horn in the 396 would likely and probably quite easily trump the much lower quality drivers / smaller horns in the 362. 

KI-396-SMA-II.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I think in some instances that is probably true but with these two models I believe the quality of the horn driver and crossover along with the much larger horn in the 396 would likely and probably quite easily trump the much lower quality drivers / smaller horns in the 362. 

KI-396-SMA-II.jpg

In Full agreement with you here.  Disclaimer : I own the 396s and haven't heard the 362s.   The 362s use drivers found in heritage models, while the HF compression driver in the 396s is much larger and better quality.  The woofer is the same.   The horn on the 396 HF section is massive given the size of the box as well.   Effortless is likely the first word that iwll cross your mind when you hear a pair.   

1 hour ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@Westcoastdrums  i have been saving for 396’s but recently been seeing some info on the 362. The 3 way design caught my eye but inwas pretty sure the horn and driver in the 396 is superior!

Depending on what price you can get into a pair of 362's you might be able to customize them to your liking and come in well under the price of a new pair of 396's, that's basically what I did. I don't know how handy you are with DIY projects but there are at least a couple different routes you could take using the 362 as a base platform. Here's a link to my custom 362 build thread:

3 hours ago, Jvitti1970 said:

I guess because the 362 is a 3 way design some people asume its better @Coytee

As I understand it, the reason for 3 verses 2 way designs (in a "same" speaker) is the 3-way would have higher output potential than the 2-way....but, it's at the cost of splitting the signal.

So, in a perfect world, you'd have a single driver doing what these monster speakers can do....but, we don't live in perfect world so have to split the work load.  The more you split, the more output you can get but the tradeoff is the sound will be more chopped (via the crossover) and need some time to stitch itself back together.

In my case, with my 3-way Khorns and extreme slope crossovers, I had to be 30 feet away from them before they sounded stupendous....  with the 2-way speakers (in same corners) I had that similar coherent sound but was around 7-10 feet away so I was able to enjoy the 2-way speaker much closer to them.....indeed, in this example, while being IN the room with them verses out of the room with the Khorns (30' put you at the base of my stairwell)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Heard the 396 many times and the 362 much less and for something completely different. Kevin has 362's for surrounds and a center which is no way to compare it to normal listening. The 396 is the only speaker I don't have from Klipsch that I would want, it's very good. But I have no place to use it anyway.

speakers (1).jpeg

19 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@Coytee  i have 3 way LaScala’s presently and i think they sound wonderful in my sweet spot chair about 10 feet away or if im up walking around twenty feet away

I too have LaScalas (had them for, 40 years) so I'm not bashing them....  that said, prepare for a bashing!  :P

If you heard the "Jubescal" which is the huge K402 atop the LaScala bass bin, OR, the smaller K510 atop the speaker and heard the scale of sound as a 2-way....  you'd be peeing in your frosted flakes.

Ok, maybe not literally....  but the scale of sound & intelligibility increase would perhaps make you think two things...  

1.  Why will I ever go back to listen to my stock speakers?  Maybe I'll just sell the top horns!

2.  (and I've asked this many many times of Klipsch)  I wonder why they don't offer this as a factory upgrade, once word got out, people would be all over it.

1.jpg

2jubscala.jpg

510.jpg

JubLSI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@Coytee  so i have a 1976 vintage LaScala. One piece. If i were to do that mod with K402 it would be like your first pick. How exactly do you achieve that? Basically no more k77 or K55?  Excuse my not knowing im new at this hobby lol

If you could borrow a 402 (not likely unless you're really lucky), you'd simply buy one...set it on top and you're almost done.  It's essentially designed to be an active driver.  I don't know that any passive crossover exists for it (I'm active so never had to look)

If you have the requisite parts (2-amps, active crossover) you can simply plug & play.

The K400/K77 and passive would essentially go unused.  You could keep them there so if you ever sold your speakers, they'd be whole and the buyer would have an entire working speaker.  Or, like the picture, I think he was putting them together so didn't have the K400 and covered it with a blank or something.

None the less, You'd "simply" contact someone like Cory, tell him you want the K402 with the K691 (I think) tweeter driver on it....give him your C-card and a couple days, week later, they will show up on your doorstep.  Yank out of box, place on top of speaker & plug in (presuming you already have the active & power amps)

Believe me....  if I can do this cold turkey over night, anyone can.  It's not hard.  You just need the correct ingredients on hand and once they're on hand, it's literally plug & play.

Once you hear it you will certainly debate on selling your other horns because you will never go back.