Denon/Marantz AVR impedance setting 4 - 6 - 8 Ohm

JefDC

If it's possible you will see a switch on the rear generally. I would like to think a Denon or Marantz could drive any of these but who knows? Long ago I had a JVC receiver with that switch, I never used it as I assume it just cut power when set at 4 ohms. If my receiver had that switch or could not drive 4 ohms I would get an amp if there was pre outs. If not I would get a different receiver . Last if you have 4ohm speakers on a weak amp be careful with the volume knob.

Most AVRs have a default setting of either 6 ohms or 8 ohms.  Most also advise against 4 ohms because of the power limiting and it is usually available for 4 ohms testing certification only.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/change-ohms-setting.356595/

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

Set it and forget it at 8 ohms if a choice or 6 ohms if 8 ohms is not a choice.

Bill

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JefDC said:

Note: with the Denon/Marantz AVR's (at least with the models I looked at) one selects the 4, 6 or 8 Ohm via a setting in the menu not a switch.

Is that in the "speaker setup" menu where it may ask you about your speakers?

Bill

I have a Marantz SR5008 which drives my 6ohm fronts as well as 8 ohm Klipsch centre and rears. All I see in my manual is a 6ohm minimum recommendation. Nothing about a switch or set up format I can find. I just hooked them up and they seem fine. Perhaps its automatic? I really don’t know. In the spec section it shows the channels putting out 100 watts at 8 and 140 watts at 6.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, JefDC said:

No you have to press 2 buttons on the amplifier body at the same time to enter this mode/menu.

The exact 2 buttons depend on the model:

'<-' and '->' on my Denon AVRX4300 (see also page 40 of the pdf manual).

What is the factory setting?

JJK