How Much Do Your Neighbors Love Klipsch?

MEH Synergy

"When I used to live in Berkeley ..."

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Sorry to hear that. :sad:

Thanks for the condolences, but ...

It's one of my all time favorite cities, along with San Francisco and New York.  I haven't been to Paris, but the other two also qualify as "A Moveable Feast."  In Berkeley, there is always a lively conversation going on.  It is what communications experts used to call an "All Channel Net," with nearly all kinds of people interacting with their ideas cross-fertilizing.  Then there is the University, with more Nobel prize winners than anywhere else on earth.  Fond memories.  It's very stimulating, though, so one needs to go to Mendocino or Big Sur once in a while, and live under a rock.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well maby it's not that bad depending on the area I guess. We have been to a few college towns and everything seemed busy with a higher than normal rate of people and traffic was very busy. One thing I will say there seemed to be alot of money being spent around town, parents money I would guess.

I say this just compare to how busy things were compared to no school in the same size town. 

I bet if I were younger and single it would be great from what I have seen, but I'm neither. 

OP:  Do I understand correctly that you have commercial-grade loudspeakers installed in your garage, or outdoors, and you’re playing music loud enough that neighbors are calling the police?   Assuming that you sincerely want to hear different opinions, I respectfully offer the following comments.

Have you considered the fact that whatever genre of music you like, your music is disliked (perhaps intensely disliked) by many other people?    

Have you considered that many people enjoy peace and quiet, and are bothered by loud noise, including loud music?    

Some have commented that if their neighbors don’t like their loud music, they have “miserable lives” or have a “total disdain for music”.   If loud noise doesn’t bother you … OK … but I suggest that you recognize that loud noise does bother many other people.  Your neighbors may be trying to read a book, talk on the phone, quietly listen to their music or watch TV, take a nap, or just enjoy peace and quiet.

I like Klipsch speakers.   With that said, I’ve always found the cocky attitude about “pissing off the neighbors” (e.g., Klipsch’s subwoofer ads) to be sophomoric, and I believe it reflects an egregious lack of consideration for other people. 

If you like to really “crank it up”, and your neighbors are close enough to be disturbed, perhaps you should consider getting some Klipsch headphones.   Or listen to your music indoors with the windows closed – and confirm that your music is not loud outside.

That’s my 2 cents …

1 hour ago, robert_kc said:

Have you considered the fact that whatever genre of music you like, is disliked (perhaps intensely disliked) by many other people?    

Yes

Have you considered that many people enjoy peace and quiet, and are bothered by loud noise, including loud music?    

Yes, but I don't even do this once a month.   As a homeowner, you are entitled before 10 pm to enjoy music at your residence.   

but I suggest that you recognize that loud noise does bother many other people.  

I suggest to each his or her own, but don't be a pain in the *** and call the cops because you don't like what your neighbors do rarely, especially if all laws are being followed. Close your windows, or better yet, leave your house and go somewhere else if you are truly disturbed. 

and I believe it reflects an egregious lack of consideration for other people. 

I don't.   

If you like to really “crank it up”, and your neighbors are close enough to be disturbed, perhaps you should consider getting some Klipsch headphones.

Ummmm, no?  People are only bothered when Thai is outside, again you aren't at my gatherings so you are just speculating. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, dtel said:

Two is for when we need to get serious, this can also be set out by the bar if needed or out in the yard. It's MWM bottoms with DIY split LaScala tops and can fill this 6 acres and more. It can run like in the pic or separated one top one bottom, either way sounds good. 

You can stage a rock concert with that👍

19 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:
20 hours ago, robert_kc said:

Yes, but I don't even do this once a month.   As a homeowner, you are entitled before 10 pm to enjoy music at your residence.   

What disturbs me is when the next door neighbor cuts his grass at 7 AM with his loud mower. That's legal, and I don't complain.

What disturbs me is when their kid tunes his drag race car up at 8 PM. That's legal, and I don't complain.

What disturbs me is when their kid takes his racer out on the street and does burnouts at 8 PM. That's both illegal and dangerous, and I call the cops.

What disturbs me is when those same neighbors complain when I occasionally play my stereo loudly, which is less than 50 dB right outside my house. Unbelievable!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Don Richard said:

What disturbs me is when those same neighbors complain when I occasionally play my stereo loudly, which is less than 50 dB right outside my house. Unbelievable!!

I'm with you word for word on your above posting. I won't call the cops unless crime is being committed and or people's lives are in danger.  I didn't call the police when I had to get up for work at 430 am and my neighbors had a backyard party that ended at 3 am. I probably slept half an hour and worked 7 back to back 12 hour shifts in a row.   I certainly wasn't happy about it, but they have only done thay twice since I've lived here.  That is better shit to cry about than loud music.   Now, if you are a nuisance, that is another story.  I am happy to buy my neighbors fine cheese to go with their whine if need be, however, it's only 1 or 2 neighbors.   The rest could care less and appreciate that everyone enjoys life differently.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shiva said:

Maybe this guy will move to your neighborhood and take all the heat.

Here’s my attempt at a humorous response to the guy in the video.  Perhaps his neighbor could engage him in conversation, and ask him what music he HATES.  Perhaps one of these?

Then park a trailer full of commercial-grade speakers next to his house and blast whichever is most obnoxious in an endless loop - for the same duration of time he blasted his music.

I’m kidding.  To me that’s something to joke about - not actually do.   If the loud music happens often, I’d suggest a calm conversation about it – neighbor to neighbor.

Regarding other sources of noise, I don’t understand why manufacturers don’t put better mufflers on leaf blowers, weed eaters, lawn mowers, etc.  And I don’t understand why some people remove mufflers from motorcycles, trucks, etc.  IMO it’s all unnecessary noise pollution. 

As I said earlier, apparently some people are unfazed by loud noise, but many people find noise extremely irritating.

I think there is a reasonable balance between having some tolerance, but not having to put up with frequent loud noise.

I’m tolerant of an occasional loud party that goes late – e.g., a high school graduation party.   We were all young once.  But if a neighbor had loud parties until 3AM every week, I wouldn’t be happy.

I’m tolerant of occasional dog barking – that’s part of life in the city.  But I think it’s unacceptable when people leave their dog outside all day (or night) and it barks for hours.

I live in an old neighborhood in the city with small lots – the houses are very close together.   We have an issue every July 4.  Fireworks are illegal in the city – for good reasons:  noise, fire safety, and general public safety.   (I have a wood roof.)   Nonetheless many people set off aerial fireworks over the course of 5 days (not just on July 4).  I’m tolerant of the noise on July 4, but I think 5 days of noise is unreasonable.  This pits neighbor against neighbor, with heated discussions every year on Nextdoor.com.  (Some people have called their neighbors “snowflakes” because they asked for peace and quiet.  OTOH, some people simply don’t care that fireworks are illegal, and don’t care about how their actions negatively affect their neighbors.) 

Here’s an example of my real-world experience.   Several years ago, I installed a single speaker on my sun porch – for one day.   I was listening to opera at what I thought was a reasonable volume level, but my neighbor complained in a polite and diplomatic manner.  I thanked her for bringing it to my attention, apologized and told her it would never happen again.  I removed the speaker, and I now only listen indoors with my windows closed.

IMO if the guy in the video blasted music once – no big deal.   If he was blasting music on a regular basis, IMO that’s definitely not cool.  For me, step 1 would be a calm conversation with him.  If he told me to “F$%& OFF”, and continued blasting noise, I’d follow my City’s standard procedure for filing a noise complaint.

If only the cities were knowledgeable about sound.  A certain number of dB, "C," "slow," for a certain length of time, at a certain number of feet beyond the noise maker's property line, perhaps with different standards for after 10 pm, until 9 AM.  That way, the noise maker could take his/her Radio Shack SPL meter and patrol the property line with some test music or sound on.  To be fair, it would have to apply to lawn mowers, leaf blowers, electric saws, etc., as well as music.

But some cities are embarrassingly ignorant.  Mine says that music (specifically music, not noise) must not be audible at 50 feet away, without specifying the particulars. 

Some colleges are as bad.  One specifies that no dorm dweller can have an amplifier more powerful than a certain number of watts, without specifying speaker sensitivity, etc.  Give me a giant break.

If control entities are incompetent in this regard, maybe they should butt out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, garyrc said:

Some colleges are as bad.  One specifies that no dorm dweller can have an amplifier more powerful than a certain number of watts, without specifying speaker sensitivity, etc.  Give me a giant break. 

I could see me in a dorm room with my 2A3 amps and Heresy IIs... Yes sir, they are only 3 1/2 watts each... 😏

The is not totally on topic, but it sort of relates, and I find it funny.

Someone on here (it may have been Coytee) once remarked on the forum that La Scalas were ideal speakers for university dorm room use:  they're too big and heavy to steal, and they're stable enough for drunk girls to dance on safely.  Makes sense, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1