Pass Labs Aleph 2

Jim Gregory

=== you SIT 3 fans might want to look for another option and this in the Pass Labs lineup. I spoke with a Pass dealer about a possible trade with my XA25 for the SIT3. Before I could finish my sentence he said “ you don’t want to do that, the XA is in another league by comparison”. The S3 has its own sound character due to the SIT transistor but other than that most all Pass Labs Class A will pull away from most all the First Watt products. I have a First Watt F3 which like the J2 uses JFET power and while it sounds great it lacks the overall experience of the XA. FWIW I’ve left tubes for these amps/designs and really haven’t looked back —

Yes, they are two different product line (First Watt vs Pass Labs). FW products may lack some horse power for some (generally 25 Watts or less). The PL line has tons more wattage (if that is important) and will typically better handle difficult loads (inefficient speakers or electrostatics etc). 

However keep in mind that PL amplifiers are considerably more expensive (generally). 

6 hours ago, richieb said:

=== you SIT 3 fans might want to look for another option and this in the Pass Labs lineup. I spoke with a Pass dealer about a possible trade with my XA25 for the SIT3. Before I could finish my sentence he said “ you don’t want to do that, the XA is in another league by comparison”. The S3 has its own sound character due to the SIT transistor but other than that most all Pass Labs Class A will pull away from most all the First Watt products. I have a First Watt F3 which like the J2 uses JFET power and while it sounds great it lacks the overall experience of the XA. FWIW I’ve left tubes for these amps/designs and really haven’t looked back —

I tried to trade my bel canto mono blocks in for a moderate value towards a sit 3 just the other day... reno said they weren't doing any trade deals on the sit3 even though my amps were the same cost new. I probably would have taken 1500 for the pair against the 4000 against the sit3. I don't think NP is having issues selling the amps. I'm not really interested in any other FW or PL for now.

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

I tried to trade my bel canto mono blocks in for a moderate value towards a sit 3 just the other day... reno said they weren't doing any trade deals on the sit3 even though my amps were the same cost new. I probably would have taken 1500 for the pair against the 4000 against the sit3. I don't think NP is having issues selling the amps. I'm not really interested in any other FW or PL for now.

=== with the S3 in short supply I’m not surprised he didn’t favor a trade with anything other than Pass or FW. I cannot speak for Mark on his general trade-in practices but yes, he would have traded for my XA and like the S3 they too are difficult to find. 

8 hours ago, Shiva said:

I think now after a little research, want to try for a S3 first, then settle for another opinion later. 

Thanks for the lead on the 0’s though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Please post up you make the deal. I would be interested in a photo essay and review please.

Thanks

Schu

I will be happy to post photos and a review. But 

you have to understand I have only 2 years experience in the audio world and my current amplifier set up is a Parasound JC 2 and a pair of Parasound Halo A21’s. I do not have any experience with any other preamp or amplifiers. 

I’ll do my best. 

Jim

• Like 1