La Scala I updates

GFelber

I think I'm up for the challenge.  Below are some projects I built from scratch over the past few years: 

Tubelab SSE (still underway)

wGMfc6N.jpg

uFonkens with Fostex drivers for the desktop

DK2KDQY.jpg

Little sub for the above resembling a briefcase

3msVJ1Y.jpg

Small sub for the MBR matching our furniture.

tp7rYc5.jpg

In-ceiling 2-way for my brother's porch

ouftaqo.jpg

Original Cornscala

hQWSbUn.jpg

Revised 2-way Cornscala

WXALwuK.jpg

Cubo 15

4QORezh.jpg

Two-way loudspeakers with ScanSpeak drivers for the MBR

piBLNNz.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a La Scala newbie too, and I can't wait to get back to my upgrade project, which is in limbo until I get back home in April.

I'm in the midst of building the Eliptrac midrange wood horn, and early testing has already yielded fantastic results, and I also added braces to the woofer mouth; a fairly easy job, but well worth the effort - very effective at reducing cabinet  vibration.

La Scala Klipsch.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GFelber said:

I think I'm up for the challenge.  Below are some projects I built from scratch over the past few years

I don’t know.  We might need to see more examples of your work. On second thought . . . hell yeah, your up to the challenge.  I especially like the little suitcase.  It’s about the size and shape of the Voxel sub I recently sent to @rockhound  Any more photos and/or info about that?  I look forward to seeing what you do with the La Scalas.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I don’t know.  We might need to see more examples of your work. On second thought . . . hell yeah, your up to the challenge.  I especially like the little suitcase.  It’s about the size and shape of the Voxel sub I recently sent to @rockhound  Any more photos and/or info about that?  I look forward to seeing what you do with the La Scalas.

:)  Thanks

The little briefcase sub was one of my first designs.  It employs a Dayton 6 1/2" driver (DCS 165-4) and a Dayton 70W plate amp.  The box is 12.5" x 16.75" x 5.75" and 0.47 cu ft with 1/2" MDF.  Let me see if I can find some more pics and the measurement data.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, jason str said:

1/4" ply over the 3/4 will not stiffen the cabinet much at all, its just not the same as 1" material though you would think so.

Bracing is really the way to make it right, might be a bit more work but worth the time and be sure to brace the inside of the cabinet ( where the woofer is) as well so you have bracing all the way from one side to the other.

I with all do respect disagree,,,,after I added a few screws and veneer on the outside of mine the sides a a lot stiffer than they were. I use to be able to flex the sides just with my hands,,,now even with my knee on one side and both hands on other side it barley even moves. I wished I had documented this but I forgot to. 

• Thanks 1