klipschorn for sale

habinger808

The quick answer is "yes."

Khorns in good condition average $2112.  Those are from 1982 which was the last year for the highly desirable Type AA crossovers.

If you are in the Phoenix area I would suggest you don't over analyze this.  If you have the cash on hand, pounce.  You can easily get your money back (and then some) should they not work out for you.  I would value those above the average price I have listed above, probably closer to $2400.

thanks to the both of you. what should i "listen" for? he is the second owner of these and only has it setup to his avr which is what it would do until a suitable amp can be bought. lastly, would this be too much for our small 14' x 30' room? apologies for all the questions.

Edited by habinger808

2 minutes ago, habinger808 said:

what should i "listen" for?

Make sure you can hear sound coming out of three places on each speaker, tweeter, mid and woofer.  Putting your ear up to them you can easily hear sound.

Especially for the tweeter, all you are trying to listen for is sound of any kind.  You won't hear a complete instrument, just some squeaks because it is limited to just the very highest frequencies.

If any sound is not heard (this will 99% be a blown tweeter) you can expect it will cost $100 to replace.  If the crossovers have not been replaced it will cost you $100 the pair to update them. 

These are negotiating points but if the Seller will not come down on his price those are not deal breakers.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, habinger808 said:

thanks to the both of you. what should i "listen" for? he is the second owner of these and only has it setup to his avr which is what it would do until a suitable amp can be bought. lastly, would this be too much for our small 14' x 30' room? apologies for all the questions.

Play anything at low volume.   Cover each driver you are not listening to with your hand and put your ear to the each driver separately. Check for equal output of each driver at low volumes.   If all is well, start turning volume up and listen for "weird noises".   Diaphragms are cheap and easy my friend... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, habinger808 said:

would this be too much for our small 14' x 30' room?

I had my Khorns in a small living room and they sounded incredible. 

I sold my 1978 Khorns (black) for $2400.  A guy drove 5 hours one-way from Michigan to pick them up.  Still my greatest regret, I sold them due to my wife not liking them due to the size.  When placed in corners they actually are less distracting than smaller speakers placed near the middle.

Just now, Emile said:

Go get it :D  But, be aware ... some of these offerup sellers are a pain in the a$$. (Bought a Crown amp yesterday from offerup ... just got a message with "seller changed his mind; he is keeping it." :( ) Good luck! 

Offerup, CL, Audiogon, USAM can all be a PITA.  Feel your Seller out and swap phoen numbers on offer up.   If it feels right it usually is.   Let me tell you, for that price?  Who gives a ffff if it is right or not. Unless all drivers are blown, buy them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2