DIY bass bins - dual 12" woofers

Emile

Thanks for all the feedback.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:39 PM, Marvel said:

With two 12s you might as well just get Jubes...

If I could put Jubes in my house and stay married then I absolutely would. Where I live square footage is obscenely expensive, so removing a bunch of furniture for huge speakers is not a viable option. One goal of this project is stealthily getting any speakers in my living room, which is currently decreed an "electronics free zone." I can sell the Heresys as they aren't huge and I already have them. In fact step one will be getting them out of storage and building nice stands and just running the H2s for a while.

I will be completely bi amping the 510s with active crossovers and eq, so I can easily balance the bottoms with the tops. With the single 12s they won't play much below 50, but I'll be powering each 12 with a bridged IcePower 125asx delivering well over 200w per driver. The tops will use a 125 in stereo.

Really the goal here is to get the 510s in the house as a foundation for experimentation in the future. I'll never have room for 402s, but I'd like to experiment with wide dispersion, constant directivity 2 way systems in the space I have.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, this is why a Double Super Heresy would be the ticket! Rear ports and all!! Two 12's is like an 18, so it would stomp a Cornwall with the right Compression Driver and Crossover!

What driver should I use for the two 12 approach? The Eminence neo high output or LF? I won't be using passive crossovers and will have plenty of clean power to drive them, so maybe the LF would give a bit more bottom extension? I guess I need to setup a PC to run some modeling software..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

What driver should I use for the two 12 approach? The Eminence neo high output or LF? I won't be using passive crossovers and will have plenty of clean power to drive them, so maybe the LF would give a bit more bottom extension? I guess I need to setup a PC to run some modeling software..

Already done this.

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, MenloBob said:

If I could put Jubes in my house and stay married then I absolutely would.

Just trying to put a little levity in the conversation.😉   I have HIIs in my 20x23 ft room, and find them quite adequate, but I understand the desire for some lower bass. Claude's thoughtful work will get you what you are looking for with pretty much the same footprint, with the horn up higher. Seems like a win/win for what you are looking for.

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Claude's thoughtful work will get you what you are looking for with pretty much the same footprint, with the horn us higher. Seems like a win/win for what you are looking for.

Yeah I think I'm going to do the single Super H2s first, measure them and then look towards dual 12s in the summer when I have more spare time for cab builds.

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of you in Hope in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Yeah ... looks like we will have to build dual 12" bass bins :(  

Tried to buy Yamaha S215V's off CraigsList (dual 15') but seller quit responding :(  Then tried to buy JBL SR4718A's (single 18") off CraigsList ... ready to get in the car to pick them up ... no more responses for 3 days :( :(  Jeez :( Maybe I should just learn to live with the Forte's (it's only for a small extra stereo room), and sell my K-510's :D 

Cheers, Emile

Sorry, but doesn't look like they fit :( And ... don't think they fit "vertically,"  at least not without a motorboard redo. (FYI ... have my "main" 510's oriented vertically ... no difference)

klipsch-klf-30-front-main.jpg

Klipsch KLF-30 Legend Tower Floorstanding Speakers

Bass Reflex, Two Rear-Firing Ports

MFR: 36 Hz - 20 kHz ± 3 dB

Sensitivity 102 dB/w/m

Impedance 8 Ohms Nominal

Power Handling 200 Watts RMS, 800 Watts Peak

Size 46 1/2" H x 14" W x 17 1/4" D

Weight 92 Pounds Each

MSRP: $1,800/Pair; Mahogany, Oak 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

orry, but doesn't look like they fit :( And ... don't think they fit "vertically,"  at least not without a motorboard redo. (FYI ... have my "main" 510's oriented vertically ... no difference)

Thanks. Turns out the 30s were a scam anyway.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

@ClaudeJ1 can you share what exactly you had in mind for the Double Super Heresy design? Two Heresy sized cabs on top of each other? Or one tower sized cab with both drivers, possibly with a divider to partition each driver's back wave? I have acquired a pair of K510s with K691s and I'm ready to order 4 12s to start moving on this build.