How old are these Heresey's and can they be refinished

E in Fremont

We have some old Heresy speakers my wife bought decades ago? We have used them with a pair of hand made 901 Bose

's.  She has allowed the tops of the Hersey's to be messed up because she wants them out of the room? Can anyone help me identify how old they are? they are 4-ol type, below is the number 100u115 and 100u116. The u may be and a? This is all hand writtem. The tester was NW Bradford and the inspector was Janet .......  They are a color we used to call Blond?  Does this color stain have a name? I have heard the wood may be a birch material. Can this be sanded down carefully, stained and resealed?  Can anyone tell me how old these speakers are. My wife think she paid about $500 for them new?

IMG_2113.jpg

U is 1980.  A would be late '50s and it would not be called a Heresy back then. 

They look like raw birch, code HBR, Heresy, Birch, Raw.  There were 99,114 made before yours.  Are the back panel labels still there?

Of course they can be finished, beginning with a very light sanding as the outer veneer layer is thin.  Look up "finishing birch".  I'll go ahead and recommend polyurethane for the finish coat.  Looks like they need the protection. 

How do they sound?  Heresies should not sound "polite", "reserved" or "laid-back".  They are supposed to be big, out in the room and bright.  If they are not, they likely need new capacitors.  The crossovers are simple and the job is easy if you can solder even a little.  At their age new caps are often needed, but I have a '68 Model H700 and a pair of HIPs (Pro Heresies) that do not need new caps.  Use your ears.  OTOH, automatic replacement at 30 years will only cost you money. 

45 minutes ago, E in Fremont said:

Can this be sanded down carefully, stained and resealed?  Can anyone tell me how old these speakers are. My wife think she paid about $500 for them new?

Believe it or not those will clean up nicely.  They will need some hand sanding which takes time but I think those can be made to look close to factory again.

You got some great answers directly above ^^^.  I can't improve on any of that.

48 minutes ago, E in Fremont said:

We have used them with a pair of hand made 901 Bose's.  

We might be able to help integrating all your speakers to get a better sound.  Any pictures might be helpful, as well as a list of other equipment like your AVR.

+++

Welcome to the Klipsch forums.