Which 4k blu ray???? Without spending $1000

jordan122345

Ok so another question for all you smart people. Ok so putting my setup together right now. I have already decided on Klipsch RF7iii, RC64iii, and rp502s. I already purchased a Denon 4400h and SVS PB13 Ultra pro. I have been trying to get info on a good 4k bluray player for a decent price. It looks like possibly bang for your buck it would be Sony x700. Also looks like Panasonic and samsung both have good models out. And last I have a pretty used Oppo 203 local for $450 with just the unit and remote. So trying my best to stay way under $1000 if possible. Any suggestions?. Also will be pretty much 98% home theater. Thanks as always.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

And last I have a pretty used Oppo 203 local for $450 with just the unit and remote. So trying my best to stay way under $1000 if possible. Any suggestions?.

There you go.  That's the one I would get.

Bill

1 minute ago, jordan122345 said:

Only thing I am somewhat worried about is no extras and it looks used so is it still worth 450? 

No wireless dongle?  You could hard wire it if need be.

I bought my Oppo 105 used about 2 years ago and it operates flawlessly and looks brand new.  It was built in 2013 if I am not mistaken.

Look on Ebay for used 203s and see what you get.  The "cheapest" I found was $750.00 pre-owned.

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

No wireless dongle?  You could hard wire it if need be.

Not the dongle we had on the earlier models but wireless built in and works fine; I would always recommend hardwire but when I checked it was stable. I know Oppo is out but have you asked them if they have any factory cartons available?

I have every last thing supplied by factory for my -203 and you can have it for $800. Perhaps in the future I will use it but I think I have ran 2 movies and 3 partial SACDs as tests.

Owned just about every Oppo since the dash 80s, ordered the -205 and didn't realize that I entered an expired CC. It was canx and before I knew it the -205s were gone so I got the -203

4 hours ago, veloceleste said:

This Pioneer looks interesting. At the top of your price. I have aPioneer Elite DVD player that is at least 15 years old tha is still going strong and gets daily use as my cd transport.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/UDP-LX500#overview

Sorry didn't see way under 1k......still looks interesting....

And one more......http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/4K-Blu-ray/UBPX1000ES.php

I still have my DV -59 AVI from 2004 that still works perfect.

Following.

My Sony BD player went flaky earlier this week.  I'm also looking to move up to 4K but I don't even know where to start.

Can you get a BD player where you can talk to it?  I don't have Alexa or any of those things either but I should look to see which way the wind is blowing.

Do you have an hdr capable monitor that can process Dolby vision?

Right now, most modern smart monitors of fair to good construction can process HDR10... that is a static meta data format. What that means is that the data that the monitor sees from the player is static or fixed. The monitor can not make changes to the image on the fly as the scenes move from dark to light... that means some light scenes will look blown out and loose data in the highlights and conversely dark scenes can look crushed and dark, lacking shadow detail.

Dolby vision (and lessor hdr10plus) is a dynamic meta data format that allows the monitor to make very subtle "dynamic" changes to highlights and dark shadows to conserve detail and colors in real time... it's a very sophisticated algorithm that is seamless.

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

Do you have an hdr capable monitor that can process Dolby vision?

Right now, most modern smart monitors of fair to good construction can process HDR10... that is a static meta data format. What that means is that the data that the monitor sees from the player is static or fixed. The monitor can not make changes to the image on the fly as the scenes move from dark to light... that means some light scenes will look blown out and loose data in the highlights and conversely dark scenes can look crushed and dark, lacking shadow detail.

Dolby vision (and lessor hdr10plus) is a dynamic meta data format that allows the monitor to make very subtle "dynamic" changes to highlights and dark shadows to conserve detail and colors in real time... it's a very sophisticated algorithm that is seamless.

As of right now no TV yet but I will make sure it is a NICE one that's for sure