Which 4k blu ray???? Without spending $1000

jordan122345

I want to add for those looking... if it's not so vitality important to you, and if it helps you with your search, perhaps you can forego the advanced Dolby vision capabilities... it's only really critical for that upper tenth of a percent of image quality. Is it noticeable, of course... is it critical, no.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TasDom said:

Just when you get it all figured out, 8K will be all the rave....

When we all get the dino poop off the screen you'll want to throw those 4k dvds out and get a 12k tv, shipping in march......

• Like 1

I've owned the Sony UBP-X700 for about 9 months or so now.  It has been solid for me the whole time.  I have only had two problems so far, and neither of them have been the fault of the player itself.  First, I had to buy a new active HDMI cable because my old one's chipset couldn't handle framerates above 24 Hz.  Second, certain 4K discs come from the pressing factory with a light coat of some oily substance on them to prevent them from sticking to the manufacturing machinery and/or each other when they are stacked.  When I've forgotten to wipe the disc surface (I just use tap water and a microfiber cloth), sometimes the playback will freeze.  The 4K discs are a tighter tolerance (or some such thing) than standard Blu-ray discs, so even minor irregularities can cause the player to search for the next available spot that it can read on the disc.  This will make it appear that the player has locked up completely.  After cleaning these same discs, they play back flawlessly.

I do have one nit to pick, and that is that these newer Sony players no longer support streaming certain audio formats over a home network. Older Sony Blu-ray players could, but that functionality was removed somewhere along the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, blue72 said:

I've owned the Sony UBP-X700 for about 9 months or so now.  It has been solid for me the whole time. 

Have a very close model UBP X800, for over a year and have never had a problem. It does play SACD  and DVD A or any disc really. It has really good sound and picture, I don't care for Sony but at $199 when I bought it I had to try it, now they're $229 it seems. Very happy with it, use it for DVD's, SACD's, BR and 4K disc plus streaming, it has many apps for streaming. The only thing I did not like is there is an app for Spotify, but it will not work unless you're a paid member to the service, probably a deal with Sony/Spotify? I has no problem streaming 4K or playing a disc, I was surprised at how good the audio quality is, even streaming.

To this player is well worth the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X800-Ultra-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B01N4RCPKO/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77927938140848&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=sony+x800+blu+ray+player+4k&qid=1550090963&s=gateway&sr=8-3&tag=mh0b-20

71ZufFAz1QL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Sony UBP X800 when they first came out.  Worked for about a week, then kept freezing up during playback. I wanted to like it. It looked and sounded good.  I guess I got a bad one.

Finally took it back and bought an Oppo 203 before they shut down. Did not want to pay $500 for it, but I’m in this hobby and addicted. Love the picture on the oppo.  Upgrades non 4-k discs very well.  The Oppo doesn’t have apps, so I have a Roku Premier on the HDMI input.  Hooked up with audio going to receiver and video to disc, both via HDMI out.  Never seen that, had to try it.

After hearing for years that HDMI cables are all the same, I found out you need upgraded cables for 4K because of the extra data transferred.

I was debating on buying the 205 at the time I bought the 203. I think those were going for $1300 at the time, but had the added audio upgrade with good DAC’s.  Wish I would have, those were going for outrageous prices in the months after Oppo shut down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max2 said:

Why does HDR and the Dolby Vision look like the color saturation is at a cartoon level?  

It doesnt... it is MUCH MORE natural and covers a much larger portion of the visible spectrum. Like any screen, the values can be messed up and skewed.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, RTR said:

After hearing for years that HDMI cables are all the same, I found out you need upgraded cables for 4K because of the extra data transferred.

I had rearranged things and mounted the tv on the wall so I need longer cables anyway, went with the fastest you could get but nothing fancy, just Monoprice.

37 minutes ago, Schu said:

It doesnt... it is MUCH MORE natural and covers a much larger portion of the visible spectrum. Like any screen, the values can be messed up and skewed.

Plus I have seen some demo videos that were overexaggerated with color,  but it's not normal. But in most cases, it's probably what you said, probably tv setting to make it look more vibrant to try to sell the difference, but it does look strange and overdone. 

31 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

Thanks guys I am gonna give the Sony x700 a try.

Please give a review after you've had a chance to play it for a while.

I trust the reviews from people on the Klipsch forum more than all the Amazon reviews put together.

• Like 4

Does anyone know if there would be a huge difference in cd sound quality on the Sony X700 versus a bottom of the line Yamaha or NAD cd player?    It would be nice to just have one unit for disc versus multiple items especially if the difference is negligible.    I will say the current Samsung model I have does not sound good.  It is about 5 years old and doesn't have a separate audio out.  

Personally I have no idea between those two particular players, but there is NO REASON why a modern player should not be doing both duties at a high level. There are MUCH MORE expensive CD players, but up to a very acceptable level for most of us, a single player can do both very competently. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, S2Wheels said:

Does anyone know if there would be a huge difference in cd sound quality on the Sony X700 versus a bottom of the line Yamaha or NAD cd player? 

I think it would sound as good or better, it sounds better than the Pioneer or the one before that. (can't remember the name)

If the x700 sounds as good as the x800 you should like it. And it looks like the x700 is the newer model with more updates.