Which 4k blu ray???? Without spending $1000

jordan122345

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

Do you have an hdr capable monitor that can process Dolby vision?

I have the Vizio P Series Quantum, PQ65F1 which was new for 2018.

https://www.vizio.com/pq65f1.html

I don't even know all the latest standards it can support.  I'd just like a decent 4K player that is also up-to-date.  I don't think I need anything fancy or expensive.

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have the Vizio P Series Quantum, PQ65F1 which was new for 2018.

https://www.vizio.com/pq65f1.html

I don't even know all the latest standards it can support.  I'd just like a decent 4K player that is also up-to-date.  I don't think I need anything fancy or expensive.

It says Dolby vision... That's a good thing! Get a player that is Dolby vision capable.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Schu said:

It says Dolby vision... That's a good thing! Get a player that is Dolby vision capable.

Thanks.

I'm looking at the Sony units over on Amazon.  There's a

700 (has DV)

800, (no DV)

1000.  (no DV)

I don't yet know what the differences are between models.

FYI this will plug into a Marantz SR6011.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=marantz+6011&i=electronics&crid=1X8WCG1N0OW2&sprefix=marantz+6011%2Celectronics%2C181&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12

Mostly, now days, folks are running HDMI directly to the monitor for unbiased image and a second HDMI out to the receiver/processor for the digital sound. I suggest doing that because many receivers are having issues with passing thru dynamic metadata and HDR content

The oppo would have been sweet. I say spend a couple hundred bucks on a name brand and then you'll be ready to pay $20 - 40 for a movie. I've had a 4k player a year, never bought a movie......I personally would not pay $40 for a movie if it had Elvis and Albert Einstein on the Titanic fornicating with Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne while battling Aliens . 4k is great but crazy prices ......If they can't sell me they ain't gonna sell too many....Totally my opinion .

18 minutes ago, Schu said:

Mostly, now days, folks are running HDMI directly to the monitor for unbiased image and a second HDMI out to the receiver/processor for the digital sound. I suggest doing that because many receivers are having issues with passing thru dynamic metadata and HDR content

So you are saying Universal player video OUT to the TV, and audio OUT to the AVR via dual (separate) HDMI?

I saw a Universal player that had that feature.  I'll look again.

Although I hate to pay $250 (last Sony BD player was $100) it looks like the Sony 700 is the leader in the clubhouse.

6 minutes ago, Fish said:

The oppo would have been sweet. I say spend a couple hundred bucks on a name brand and then you'll be ready to pay $20 - 40 for a movie. I've had a 4k player a year, never bought a movie......I personally would not pay $40 for a movie if it had Elvis and Albert Einstein on the Titanic fornicating with Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne while battling Aliens . 4k is great but crazy prices ......If they can't sell me they ain't gonna sell too many....Totally my opinion .

Yeah, that part can suck.. specially since it's been VHS, then Laser disc, then DVD, then bluray... now it's 4kUHD. I am getting tired of this shyte to. But the picture is very good now and movies come down in price... new movies range from $19 To maybe $25, and more for special releases. For now I am ONLY buying movies I truly love and can consistently rewatch... everything else still looks awesome on HD bluray.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

So you are saying Universal player video OUT to the TV, and audio OUT to the AVR via dual (separate) HDMI?

I saw a Universal player that had that feature.  I'll look again.

Although I hate to pay $250 (last Sony BD player was $100) it looks like the Sony 700 is the leader...

Each manufacturer probably has a different name for the feature, but you need a player with multiple hdmi outputs, and route one to the receiver for sound and a second (main) directly to the monitor for image... no sound. You'll need to somehow enable multiple hdmi outputs, but the Oppo does it with ease... no synchronization issues. Some players might have small syn issues, but I am fairly certain the Sony is very capable.

347cf593e6a64915d3f0f1dc2fa6447d?fmt=pjp

Looks like the Sony 700 has this routing capability.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

Looks like the Sony 700 has this routing capability.

Thanks, I was just about to check.

A couple of older reviews indicated the Sony 700 was $200 and now it looks like $250 is the going price.  I'll keep looking.

9 minutes ago, Schu said:

Yeah, that part can suck.. specially since it's been VHS, then Laser disc, then DVD, then bluray... now it's 4kUHD. I am getting tired of this shyte to. But the picture is very good now and movies come down in price... new movies range from $19 To maybe $25, and more for special releases. For now I am ONLY buying movies I truly love and can consistently rewatch... everything else still looks awesome on HD bluray.

It also has an upconverter built in so all other discs should look better on it as well right? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

It also has an upconverter built in so all other discs should look better on it as well right? 

For sure... the upscaling on the Oppo (even dvd) is amazingly good. HD Blurays (1080p) look great.

2 minutes ago, jordan122345 said:

Oppo is out Sony x700 is in

Read the negative reviews on Amazon.  There are a lot of them, 14% are 1 star.  I'm reading them now.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBPX-X700-Ultra-Blu-Ray-Player/product-reviews/B078HXF9H2/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_next_3?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=3#reviews-filter-bar