The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
7heavenlyplaces

Shelf life of lubricants

Does anyone really know the skinny on shelf-life of brand new old stock lubricants like 2 cycle oil, gear lube, grease and even anti-freeze?  I know the opinions that you shouldn't use it after X number of years but are there any informed opinions out there? Does this refined product really break down in any way(s) when sitting around new in the bottle?

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/motor-oil-shelf-life

A: Like many products from under your bathroom sink, lube does expire. Most lubes have a shelf life of up to seven years, but there are plenty of things that can change that.

Opening it can potentially speed up the expiration date, so regardless of when the date is, a good rule of thumb is to stick to buying an amount you’ll use in a year or less. So unless you’re throwing a giant slip-n-slide party, a 55 gallon drum of lube from Amazon might be a poor choice.

If you haven’t used your lube in a while and want to make sure it’s still alright to use, there are ways to check. The easiest is just to use your senses to make sure it’s still the same lube you know and love. Is the color look different? Was it once translucent and is now opaque? Does it taste or smell funny? Is it overly tacky or dried-out? If any of those things are true or if you just don't feel safe using some old lube, go ahead and pick up a new bottle. That feeling of safety makes the cost perfectly worth it.

In your case, the earlier date on there is the manufacturer's date (MFD), so it was made in January of 2013 and it just celebrated its one year birthday. Happy birthday, lube! This means that the second date, December of 2017, is the expiration date. Unless you’re a time traveler sending us this email from four years in the future, your lube is still good!

https://www.condomdepot.com/condom-information/lube-expiration-dates/

29 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Does it taste or smell funny?

lol @ off the internet commentary...

I saw a 22 year old tire on a tractor trailer chassis the other day that just rolled in off a 500 mile trip. How long will that last? 

I have some lube oils bought at auction 20 years ago that are still good. Changed compressor oil on a Quincy recip with it and the oil was still clear as water. Point is, who really knows. Stored in a dry cool basement, it can go a lifetime I suspect. 

I would think the older it is the less "additives" it has in it and the base ingredients (oil) would last a very long time. 

Just a guess, but it is a good question.

Yeah so one recent internet search we did said basically unless the product becomes contaminated it's shelf life is indefinite.  It stores well in the ground as crude oil for a good long time.  Unless there are additives or distillates (all which may go away--evaporate) it seems that the base product would last and last.  

Thanks for the thoughts😁!

If it’s oil you might be able to have it tested. Sort of like hydraulic fluid which by happenstance I might be having checked in my tractor after I pull it out.

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

If it’s oil you might be able to have it tested. Sort of like hydraulic fluid which by happenstance I might be having checked in my tractor after I pull it out.

I know, when I changed the hydraulic fluid in the tractor the used fluid came out as clear as the new fluid, it seemed like a waste of 8 gallons. Even the viscosity seemed the same but I couldn't really test it, so it is great for building a hot fire.  

I think my tractor uses 25 or 30 gallons. I think it’s 25 and they recommend overfilling at 5 gallons And put in 30. The price of it is approximately $125 per 5 gallon bucket and I need six buckets. I don’t want to change it to often

I clicked on this thread expecting something else and now am slightly embarrassed.........:blush2:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I clicked on this thread expecting something else and now am slightly embarrassed.........:blush2:

=== naughty boy —. However, it is Valentines Day —

Really depends on the storage conditions. If kept in a climate controlled environment, I'd say petroleum based lubricants can last indefinitely. If they are stored in sheds or garages that get hot in the summer and freeze in the winter, the lube will probably be less than optimum after a few years. I just used some Radio Shack tuner cleaner on the battery contacts of one of our  maneki-neko  (waiving cat figures) and despite being at least 15 years old it was still good.