Overkill 18" sub??

Mighty Favog

7 hours ago, hybridamp said:

Awesome, congrats on the win.  It was always extra satisfying when those wins were against super high-end systems. 

For the subwoofers I only ran one amp (white in that photo behind the plexi window), replaced OEM alternator with 240amp alternator, and added one additional battery.

We upgraded the alternator and added an extra battery as well.  One amp for the subs and one amp for the mids and highs.  All power and grounds were 0 gauge welding cable.  It was cheaper than the boutique speaker branded wire.

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

We upgraded the alternator and added an extra battery as well.  One amp for the subs and one amp for the mids and highs.  All power and grounds were 0 gauge welding cable.  It was cheaper than the boutique speaker branded wire.

Sounds like we had similar setups, my front-stage amp was the only other amp I used also.  I averaged 148.8 dB at the front window dB Drag with that modest system and with disconnecting and removing the front-stage amp for competitions I was in lower power classes running only the sub-amp.  Later they changed to a woofer count based classification system so the one amplifier didn't help me as much then, but that is when I stopped competing anyhow.  I did have two capacitors also, forgot about those, but not much help really, here was a better view through the plexi at the amps with blue neon on at night:

IMG_0814.JPG.9f7277117ea1ae996545308fac80e60e.JPG

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I never saw the need for those.

I believe the marketing at the time was that it would help with instant reserve energy for peaky bass hits during normal use.  I received them as part of a package deal where the seller threw them in the deal for no additional cost since he didn't need them anymore so I went ahead and used them, but didn't notice any difference with them.

2 minutes ago, hybridamp said:

I believe the marketing at the time was that it would help with instant reserve energy for peaky bass hits during normal use.  I received them as part of a package deal where the seller threw them in the deal for no additional cost since he didn't need them anymore so I went ahead and used them, but didn't notice any difference with them.

My thoughts on caps was that they would discharge instantly and then they would fight the amp for current as they charged up. 

We had to (obviously) take the third row seat out to fit the box in there.  This was a 1990 safari van that we bought new.  We brought our son home from the hospital in it when he was born then gave it to him for his 16th birthday.  I think we had it 20 years. 

100_2553.JPG

52 minutes ago, babadono said:

How so?

Maybe not instantly but quicker than a typical dB drag race.  The draw that a 3kw amp wired for 1 Ohm is fairly large.  The automotive caps made for audio are meant to discharge quickly to keep lights from dimming and provide reserve for the amp.  Once they discharge they take a while to charge up.  Batteries or a bank of a batteries works better.

That van looks great inside; cool story behind it also.   My lights still dimmed even with the caps, alternator, and dual batteries.  The Dakota Digital gauges that I had in the dash displayed current draw and the voltage sensed at the amplifier terminals so as the amp current neared 100A the voltage still dipped significantly, this was at idle of course, that amp I ran @ 1ohm rated at 1400w RMS:

dash.jpg.ec042af29145f485fb3d79da03b926aa.jpg

IMG_0816.JPG.c6d5e40f886b76416e8650bc1c68a13f.JPG

This was the vehicle's exterior:

tahoe.jpg.944071ec591e9fc12accd3e60105d73a.jpg

Not sure how I got so off topic, apologies to the OP as I strolled down memory lane. lol.

• Like 1