What size room is "too small"?

jaydogg

Greetings everyone! 

I'm new to this forum, but I've really wanted to give it a try. About 10 years ago we purchased our first Klipsch 5.1 setup for our living room:

L/R - Synergy F-1's (bi-amped on a 7.2 Yamaha)

C - Synergy C-2

Sur - Synergy S-1's

SW - Sub-12

Open floor dimensions: 24' W x 28' L x 8' H   (living room, kitchen, dining room)

The setup is great! No complaints, and the sound is amazing in our open floor-plan living room space. I'm very aware that in today's Klipsch world, this is considered entry level into the "floorstander" world. A single 6.5" woofer on the floors, dual 5.25" for the center, and dual 4"' for the surrounds.

But this sub I got for a steal and really fills the whole open floor area... even beyond the "living room". 

NOW... with that said, we are finishing our basement and will have a dedicated family room that is completely separated off from everything else. It has a 5' wide hallway that enters the back of the room. This will have a huge, solid door to close if needed (for sound).

The new room will be 16' W x 18' L x 8' H......

So my question is this:  How small of a room is considered TOO SMALL for bigger speakers like the RP-280F?  I want to maximize my bang for buck. Not just get the biggest speakers because they "fit".

We are strongly considering upgrading to the RP line for the basement. I'd like a great home theater experience, but I don't need an overkill. If the biggest, baddest speakers won't sound great in a small room, I don't want to waste my money on them. Does that make sense? 

We'd like to be able to maximize whatever purchases we decide to make. 

Thanks in advance! I love the Klipsch sound. :-)

• Like 2

@jaydogg,

Welcome to the forum.

23 minutes ago, jaydogg said:

The new room will be 16' W x 18' L x 8' H......

So my question is this:  How small of a room is considered TOO SMALL for bigger speakers like the RP-280F?

Seems like a great set of speakers for that size room.

Bill

Appreciate the welcome.

Is there a point where a speaker can't really fully "extend" itself? I'd be the last to talk myself out of a bigger speaker, but I just want the right sound for the room. 

What setup would anyone recommend for a room of that size? 

To maximize floor space, we'll probably do a sectional against the back wall and side, so there's plenty of space on the floor for the kiddos!

• Moderators

Welcome

11 hours ago, jaydogg said:

Is there a point where a speaker can't really fully "extend" itself? I'd be the last to talk myself out of a bigger speaker, but I just want the right sound for the room. 

Not really the ones you have will be fine if anything I would say they were almost to small for the other size room.

11 hours ago, jaydogg said:

What setup would anyone recommend for a room of that size?

Something the size you have or bigger.

Our living room sounds similar to yours, it's actually 24'wide and 18' deep, but completely open to another 16 deep by 28' wide, so roughly 24'w x 34'deep. same as you (living room, kitchen, dining room)

We use 6 Forte's and a giant sub in that room and it does great.  

same room as 2 ch setup

If a large speaker could not work well in a smaller room our 2 Ch should not work in our living room, there each 6' wide and over 4' tall and the sub is even bigger, and it works great.

Big speakers to have big speakers in crazy but if they sound MUCH better it's an easy choice.

I would say finish the room and try what you have and decide if you need better to your ears, I would guess another sub to start, more than one is fine.

• Like 1

No room is "too small."  You just might have to "turn it down" a bit. Have KPT-904's in my main (OK; large) room ... awesome :D  Have tried varies PRO speakers in my smaller stereo room ... all were incredible ... OK; some where over-powering, but that's part of the fun :D 

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. 

I'm feeling a little under the gun on construction timing and the design and build of the theater features are up to me.

Since I see that you guys are regulars on here, I'll ask... is it worth starting a new thread to ask for some input on the entire design setup? Is that over-asking? 

My goal is to build what I would call a modest home theater room. Not completely dedicated, but well built and inviting. 

I have lots of ideas, but nowhere to go with them out here! 🙂 I'm in Northern WI and not a lot of Audio enthusiasts around. HAHA.... most like to hunt and snowmobile. 😉  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jaydogg said:

Since I see that you guys are regulars on here, I'll ask... is it worth starting a new thread to ask for some input on the entire design setup? Is that over-asking? 

Sure, help yourself. If you have questions or need ideas for your room it's the best way, everybody here would rather you ask instead of making mistakes or wasting money.

Just remember to look at all advise and decide what's best for you, I say this because sometimes you will get different opinions for worked best for each person, but overall everyone wants to help.

16 hours ago, dtel said:

Sure, help yourself. If you have questions or need ideas for your room it's the best way, everybody here would rather you ask instead of making mistakes or wasting money.

Just remember to look at all advise and decide what's best for you, I say this because sometimes you will get different opinions for worked best for each person, but overall everyone wants to help.

Yeah, I've noticed. 🙂 I've been a big reader of these forums over the years and have definitely noticed that. 

I'll do that... with an open mind! Thanks.

I think you were referencing throw distance, which shouldnt really come into play.

More important is the spacing between your speakers i.e. spread, make sure your angles are good.  

As a room gets smaller it benefits more and more from room treatments.  Imagine an open air music venue and then start imagining walls added that get closer and closer...as they get closer the absorption of the near reflections becomes more important.