Klipsch Epic CF-4 series 1 for sale!

mcobbs6879

• 5 months later...

Epics history can be found in this tread:

Although this post is about the CF-3, it should apply to the CF-4 (except with different woofers and the replacement for the CF-4 was the KLF-30):

"OK - Everything you ever wanted to know about EPIC but were afraid to ask.

Production began in Spring of 1994. That would be Rev.1. Those CF-3's would have had K-1022-KN woofers, 5" long port tubes and grey colored horns. The networks on those original versions were wired with an OFC type wire that looks kind of like original monster cable - you know the clear jacket look.

In the Fall of 1994, the Rev.2 change was made. That was a change in a couple of component values in the network and shorter 2.5" long port tubes to raise the box tuning.

The last change was Rev.3 and was made in the Summer of 1995. This change included new woofers with lighter cones (K-1030-KN on CF-3), another network change including a change in wire (Rev.3 dropped the OFC and instead used colored 16ga. like what is in the KLF's) and a new horn material (20% glass) that was painted black.

In 1996, the EPIC series died off and the Legend series began. The Legend woofers are basically the EPIC woofers with traditional BFM's instead of the Neo motors and the speakers are (in the case of 20/30) a three way design vs. a two way. The midrange horn on KLF-20/30, the only horn on KLF-10 and the horn on your CF-3's are all the same.

Now to answer your questions about your pair of CF-3's. According to the serial numbers, your CF-3's were built on the 219th day (Aug. 7th?) of 1995. They are number 063 and 064 sequentially. Given their birth date, they are most likely Rev.3's but there is a decent chance of them being Rev.2's also. In order to find out for sure, look and see if the horns are black or grey (Black means Rev.3 while grey means Rev.2) or pull a woofer and see if its a 1022 (Rev.2) or a 1030 (Rev.3) or pull the network/input cup and see if the wire is colored (Rev.3) or clear (Rev.2). Supposedly, we also put a "-2" or some kind of indicator or something somewhere on the serial number tags either behind the model number or serial number. You can check for that but I would defer to the above ways to check as the final authority. Whew! I hope that helps you out!

As for their value, CF-3's were $2000/pr when new. The 1999 Orion Blue Book (most current one I have) shows them worth about $635/pr. Keep in mind that the Orion figures are primarily for a retailer to establish a market value on used items and may not necessarily reflect any collector or unusual market values that would raise their costs. Also, a pair of speakers is worth what someone is willing to pay. I also look at what the comparable amount of cash gets you in new products. The replacement for CF-3 is KLF-20 at $1500/pr so $635 may not buy you the performance you get with CF-3's. So, how much did you pay? Nosy BB-ers would like to know!

Jim

BTW - rowoo I just saw your post as I was posting this. 299th day of 1995 would mean yours are Rev.3. You can verify yours the same way."

• Like 1

The serial numbers are 234492974 & 234492975. They most certainly have short ports tubes and red and black wiring. I have another pair that are serial numbers 213498759 & 213498760 and they have long port tubes and clear jacketed speaker wire. 21 days apart and rev.3 wiring? According to what everyone says,that shouldn't be...

Something else strange... I also know of a pair with the serial numbers 234493060 & 61 that I would assume are newer than mine being that the last four digits in the serial number are greater but they have long port tubes and clear jacketing on the wires. This is really starting to eat at me.

2 hours ago, Jessie Lee said:

The serial numbers are 234492974 & 234492975. They most certainly have short ports tubes and red and black wiring. I have another pair that are serial numbers 213498759 & 213498760 and they have long port tubes and clear jacketed speaker wire. 21 days apart and rev.3 wiring? According to what everyone says,that shouldn't be...

I can't give you an answer about the difference between the s/n and wiring.  If you have short ports and red/black wiring, those are the characteristics of the Version3.

Here is all we know about the Epic series:

Maybe they just used whatever parts they had in the barn at the time based on what suppliers had in stock to send them.  They could have been in between shipments of different vendors in switching things around.  That's happened with every speaker brand out there through the years.  Why everyone gets so wound up over versions is beyond me.  These things are all 20+ years old and becoming more scarce as time goes.  If a person is going to hold out for version 1's because they think they are the only version  to own, well,  they're just missing out and always will most likely.  They ALL sound good.  I had version CF-3 3's and would own them again with no problem.  Still kind of sad I sold them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jessie Lee said:

How do you explain cf3's built on the same day having different ports and wiring? Skipping the whole rev.2 and jumping right to would be rev.3 wiring...

Maybe they were modded.  If they sound good, don't sweat the details.

• Like 1

Never tampered with by me and were bought new but as stated. They all sound great and I don't care about what version is what personally. Just wanted it out there for people who care that the serial numbers are not always an accurate means of determining whether a set us version 1,2 or 3.

• 2 years later...

Hello Klipsch Family. I have decided to sell my Epic CF-4 Version 1’s and need to know what I should ask. The top of each speakers has a fade mark and there’s a chip in the too rear of the laminate on one. Other than this they are mint. Im not sure how to attach pictures but the serial numbers are consecutive. 

3 hours ago, Jinx said:

Hello Klipsch Family. I have decided to sell my Epic CF-4 Version 1’s and need to know what I should ask. The top of each speakers has a fade mark and there’s a chip in the too rear of the laminate on one. Other than this they are mint. Im not sure how to attach pictures but the serial numbers are consecutive. 

You might post some pictures and give location.  That's always big deciding factors on value....location and condition.  The photos would have to be sized down as there is a 2MB limit on here.

Where are you located?

3 hours ago, Jinx said:

1500$