Frazier Symphonetta

Trippigs

A bluetooth receiver with a DAC feeding a power amplifier feeding the speaker.  I'd think self-contained units that do all that are fairly available for fairly cheap.  Probably don't want to feed too much to them speakers anyway, and I doubt they'd sound any better through a $10k amp than through a $100 unit.  Might even be able to find a receiver with a tube output amp if it might do something for them.  Though you can't expect too much audio quality through bluetooth, it just might be suitable for them, depending on the quality of their voices.

Have you hooked them up together yet?

That is indeed the largest cap I have ever seen! I would guess it doesn’t function properly so it is a candidate for replacement. Now I guess the doghouse cabinet has one as well but I have no idea how to get to it...not visible

I have not gotten the ported cabinet working yet because of a wiring problem at the power transformer. 

Going to start cleaning them tomorrow. 

Well I read up a bit and concluded I could indeed experiment with removing the audio transformer which I did. Tidied up some wires and Bingo....the cabinet came alive!

I explored a bit more and removed the 10” woofer to clean. Unfortunately I also pulled a wire coming from the mid/high driver loose and no sure where it goes. I put blue tape on it and would really appreciate any advice y’all have. 

PS....the back side of the mid/high driver is very strange to me

E5CB1B8A-DD3B-4C3A-BEA3-3830BD001D4F.jpeg

0DFFB2CA-5967-4BA8-931F-32ED1443DC68.jpeg

I'd say the terminals on the back of the cabinet go straight to the woofer.  The condenser hooks one end to the one woofer terminal, other end to the tweeter.  The other tweeter wire would just double up with the other wire from the back on the other woofer terminal.

Am puzzled how that remaining cone-shaped piece behind the tweeter is fastened to the cabinet.  It rather appears the base of the cone would've been attached to the center of the woofer.

Great....thank you....I will try this later this afternoon after some baseball. Yep, the unusual cone shaped piece behind the tweeter is hard plastic. The woofer came free very easily....it was not attached or adhered to the plastic cone. The woofer and cone just fit together like spoons.

That looks like a splitter, something that also would have been inside a Dixielander. A LaScala has a splitter to go left/right... this would be left/right/up/down.

Very interesting to say the least.

Just finished up the wiring and both cabinets are working. Equal volumes and I assume full range. I am using a very modest Pioneer receiver for testing but I am encouraged. Started cleaning the cabinets and really not much work will be needed to have them looking great. The mahogany veneer on top, front and sides is thick and attractive. The backs have no veneer but are nice plywood with great patina. 

Flipped the doghouse cabinet over for the first time and there are maybe 16 screws holding the bottom on...this provides access to driver inside the doghouse. I will not open this up unless it is needed.

thanks for everyone’s help

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, Trippigs said:

Hi Marvel....there are only 4 bolts holding the woofer on. They are at ~2pm,4pm,8pm  and 10pm The other 4 holes in the driver are not being used.

I was thinking of these...

Symphonetta.jpg