Denon and Klipsch does not seem too loud

Vivek Batra

Hi Guys

I am just 1 week old in to AVRs and Klipsch. I have paired my RP 8000F + R 115 SW with Denon X4500H. My setup is only for music in 2.1 channels mode.  I am still exploring different settings and trying to get the best out of my setup. My Denon volume scale is from 0-98. Even if I crank my master volume to 60 its still comfortably audible and does not seem like noisy whihc is good thing. I am just trying to understand if everything is OK with amp and the speakers?

My settings are as follows

Mains are set to small

Bass : LFE

Crossover: 80hz

LPF : 120Hz

Auddessy : Reference

Dyanmic EQ: Medium

Reference Offset : 0db

FL : 0db

FR : 0db

SW: 0db

Distances: FL : 2 Feet, Right : 2 Feet. SW : 4 Feet

Room size : 25 Feet x 14 Feet

Source: Not HD/Online or from laptop through HDMI

Wires seem to be plugged right

I was expecting not to go beyond 40 on volume level. Though the sound is still clear at higher levels but may be my expectations are a bit high or just want to rule out any malfunction.

Thanks.

Hello,

the Reference Offset setting of 0dB in your Denon is intended for Movies and for music I would suggest to turn the Dynamic EQ off.

I'm a little bit surprised with the 0dB on your FL, FR and SW speakers.

As you can select Reference you must have run the Audyssee measurement, but I think it is very unlikely that the result would be 0dB for all 3 speakers. 

And the same for the distance measurement: 2 feet (60cm) cannot be correct. 

I suggest that you run the Audyssee measurement again, turn Dynamic EQ off and set the Reference Offset to a music setting e.g. 15, 10, 5 or off)

Note : you can change the volume scale from your present setting to a more meaning full -79 to +18dB presentation.

I hope this helps 

Edited by JefDC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

Hi Guys

. My Denon volume scale is from 0-98. Even if I crank my master volume to 60 its still comfortably audible and does not seem like noisy whihc is good thing. I am just trying to understand if everything is OK with amp and the speakers?

If I understand correctly, you're asking why it doesn't seem louder at 60 out of 98 increments. Correct?

Modern AVR's use a digital volume control.  Whereas a volume control on a traditional analog device may reach 90% of it's maximum non-distorted gain with only 1/2 of the knobs rotation, a digital volume control may need much more of it's incremental range. 

This is why when comparing amplifiers people need to match volumes using a db meter or voltage meter.  ..Volume knob position is almost meaningless.  

So, chances are..  All is well with your setup.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for your inputs. @ODS123 yes you got me right. I was wondering 60 is almost 60% of the volume level and I was worried that its still not loud enough. @JefDC i tweaked the Auddessy results after the calibration. I think I would need to run it again from a better listening position. In the current calibration the auddessey had given -ve db to all of the speakers. I moved them back to 0 db.

8 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Whereas a volume control on a traditional analog device may reach 90% of it's maximum non-distorted gain with only 1/2 of the knobs rotation, a digital volume control may need much more of it's incremental range. 

To clarify. Regular analog volume controls are "audio taper". At 12 o'clock position the resistance is approx. one tenth of the total meaning only one tenth of the voltage is being passed downstream. This is done because human hearing as far as loudness is concerned is logarithmic in nature. Once an analog signal has been digitized and is being controlled in a DSP the volume control can be programmed to do whatever taper the programmer wants.

• Like 1

Hi guys 

Thanks for your valuable comments. I did run the audyssey setup again. This time I changed my seating position to further away from the speakers. The result I got  now Distances FL : 11.9 FR : 12 SW : 12.2 and levels FL : 0 db FR :0 db SW : +1.5 db ( I guess while calibrating the SW the gain was not to the max) it set up the crossover to 40 hz and mains to Large  whihc is inverted back to "80 hz" and "small". This gives me better bass from SW. I have changed the volume scale to db now and I could raise it to -30 DB and it was enjoyable. I feel the sound is better now as I was listening to sound cloud may be the quality is better than mp3s. I will try to turn off the Dynamic Volume and turn on the Dynamic EQ as suggested by all of you. 

Thanks all.

Edited by Vivek Batra

On 2/13/2019 at 11:57 PM, Vivek Batra said:

Even if I crank my master volume to 60 its still comfortably audible and does not seem like noisy whihc is good thing. I am just trying to understand if everything is OK with amp and the speakers?

Yes, everything is exactly normal for a modern AVR like your high quality Denon 4500.

I went through the exact same thing when I got my first modern AVR in 2014, an Onkyo 717.  I would turn it up to 50 and it was almost whisper quiet!  Coming from a 2-channel receiver where half-way was crazy loud, it just didn't seem right.

I read the Onkyo manual and found out that 82 was reference level, and that was loud!  At 72 it was 10 db down and was about the normal listening level for my speakers with my mid-level AVR.  At 60 it was almost too quiet.  I got on the different forums and asked, just like you just did and found everything was perfectly normal.  It just takes some getting used to with the new higher level.

I got a Marantz 6011 last year and it was exactly the same as the Onk, the same as your Denon.  It isn't until 80 on the dial before the speakers were loud.

If you listen at 80 or so your AVR is OK, your speakers are OK.

• Like 1