khorn bass bin solution??

JRS94

Well I moved the bins into the corners by sliding the Top Hats forward and to the sides. Looks silly, but I have bass! 

Still have to remove the casters and still toying with the idea of closing up the backs so I can put them anywhere. Is there a downside to enclosing them? Really? Is there anything else different with the 60th aniversary speakers that came factory enclosed? These are '79's with Crites mids and tweets.  Thoughts? and Thanks. 

20190213_222533_resized.jpg

20190213_222548_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, JRS94 said:

I'm really interested in what harm enclosing would do. 

Makes it a more sealed connection to the walls of the corner.  Still needs a corner to extend the horn.  I suggest cutting into the ceiling if possible and building false corners.  If there is no option to cut the ceiling, then false corners at the least.

1 hour ago, JRS94 said:

About 12 feet apart, the bins are set in pretty well, I agree the left wall is short,  the bass is quite good. Just have the hats set weird. I'm really interested in what harm enclosing would do. 

IMO, none at all.  That said, full size false corners as described in Dope From Hope would work better.  As others have read ad nauseum, I enclosed the backs of 4 Speakerlab SKorns used in a 70s DJ biz.  While not as good as true corners (or proper false corners), the enclosed backs were better than nothing and did not prevent positioning the speakers in actual corners for the best results.

In a desperate act you could use the floor and wall as corners.  Lay them on the floor up against the wall and set the top hats on small tables next to them.  :smile:  That's about all I can think of besides trading for lascalas and subs.  You have a difficult room for Khorns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

In a desperate act you could use the floor and wall as corners.  Lay them on the floor up against the wall and set the top hats on small tables next to them.  :smile:  That's about all I can think of besides trading for lascalas and subs.  You have a difficult room for Khorns.

Interesting out of the box idea, thanks.

They really do sound good in the current "although goofy looking" configuration. Bass bins are tight to the corner, just the walls aren't great, 1 short and 1 with a set of shelves where my gear sits.

Next steps;

1. get them on the floor - that gets me 3 inches shorter hence tophats less Slid off center, and coupled to the floor.

2. going to eventually try enclosing just to scratch that itch and see how they are, need to understand any internal changes made. Interested in "bass chamber reconfigured with a internal port"  comment.  

3. false corners but thats going to be a last resort due to the rooms useage. Not sure that one will fly so well. although it would solve the wall issue.

Thanks all,

Joe 

From the new owners manual

The Klipschorn (AK6) has a fully enclosed low frequency horn and no longer has to be flush to the corner in order to operate properly. The Klipschorn can now be toed in or out to obtain the best imaging. The corner still serves as an extension of the low frequency horn, improving low frequency performance. For best results, Klipsch highly recommends the Klipschorn be placed in the proximity of a corner.

So whats different inside now? Looks like I'd be good a few inches off the corner with new ones. Just not gonna happen $$$

11 minutes ago, JRS94 said:

3. false corners but thats going to be a last resort due to the rooms useage. Not sure that one will fly so well. although it would solve the wall issue.

It more and more sounds like the wrong speakers in the wrong room.  What is the rooms "usage"?

From the new owners manual

The Klipschorn (AK6) has a fully enclosed low frequency horn and no longer has to be flush to the corner in order to operate properly. The Klipschorn can now be toed in or out to obtain the best imaging. The corner still serves as an extension of the low frequency horn, improving low frequency performance. For best results, Klipsch highly recommends the Klipschorn be placed in the proximity of a corner.

So whats different inside now? Looks like I'd be good a few inches off the corner with new ones. Just not gonna happen $$$

theres a video that demonstrates this, i could be wrong, so lets find the video, ifs in the new Khorn post somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

IMO, none at all.  That said, full size false corners as described in Dope From Hope would work better.  As others have read ad nauseum, I enclosed the backs of 4 Speakerlab SKorns used in a 70s DJ biz.  While not as good as true corners (or proper false corners), the enclosed backs were better than nothing and did not prevent positioning the speakers in actual corners for the best results.

Paul Klipsch had the same false corners in HIS living room. I had to build 2 them myself, just like he wrote in the Dope From Hope. He definitely practiced what he preached!! I built mine about 8 years before I was invited to his home. His Khorns were about 3 feet from the huge front window and to the left of 2 Grand Pianos. Mrs. Klipsch was a piano teacher, so he had a great A/B reference setup, LOL.

False_Corners.pdf

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JRS94 said:

Well I moved the bins into the corners by sliding the Top Hats forward and to the sides. Looks silly, but I have bass! 

Still have to remove the casters and still toying with the idea of closing up the backs so I can put them anywhere. Is there a downside to enclosing them? Really? Is there anything else different with the 60th aniversary speakers that came factory enclosed? These are '79's with Crites mids and tweets.  Thoughts? and Thanks. 

20190213_222533_resized.jpg

Enclose the backs for more correct bass and get them on the floor.  You will definitely need to complete the top to make the bass more correct.