Tube amps: Getting ones feet wet looking for some advice

Alexander

On 2/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, Alexander said:

I have seen several threads like this but most are dated and any links no longer usable sooo…...

I would like to dip into the tube amp pool to see if it is for me. The budget will be ~$500 if at all possible, would hate to spend too much on the chance it isn't my cup of tea. So reading it lists tube types like el34, kt88 & 300b just to name a few and this only adds to the confusion. So with what is mentioned  is there a descent entry level amp (not integrated) out there to start out with?

Music taste: Lodon Grammar, Daughter, Mark Knpofler, Michal Franks, Radical Face, Mars Lazar, Lamb, Zero 7, Lana Del Ray, Sting, The xx's, Kate Havenik, Imogen Heap, Flaming Lips, The Church, Moody Blues, Scott August, Seal and Crofts, Pat Methany, Pink Floyd, Missy Higgins,  Gotye, CSN, Acoustic Alchemy.....
ok that should be enough :)   Absolutely no heavy metal, just classical, jazz & soft rock.

The room info:
17' x 18.5' + 75% open to another 13.5' x 18.5' (Kitchen/dinning area), ceiling lowest 9.5' to 13' center peak

Speakers  on short wall 7' apart 1' off wall listening position ~10-13'(adjustable) 

Here is a thread with 5000+ posts regarding the Inspire amps Dennis Had is building in NC and selling on the auction site.  https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170 

His 'shop' is 225 miles from you. (I Googled it.)  I think a road trip there would be a 'sound investment'. There are posters tin the thread in NC and you might be able to get an audition closer to home from one of them. Used ones come up for sale once in a while too. You have some nice speakers that need to be introduced to tubes. It may be 😍.  Enjoy the journey.

@Alexander if you change your mind not wanting to try and integrated let me know. I may have one for sale soon. I wanted to do the exact same thing so bough one for a good price. I quickly discovered I liked the tube sound even on my pro model KI-396's. I bough one of the Fire Bottle Had Inspire amps to keep long term.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:22 PM, Alexander said:

Looks like I will be doing a lot of learning before I am through. Sadly, I live out in the sticks (in this case) so the chance of getting opportunity's  to listen to some examples is next to none. 

Not sure this helps you, but I bought this Douk 12w/ch 18w max a month ago. I have maybe 75hrs on it now and have rolled a few tubes thru it.  Very nice amp on a budget. I payed $500 for this one off ebay free shipping, but I think their now $525.  I now have a different rectifier tube and power tubes and the sound is fantastic on a budget.   Its a sweet little amp and runs my Super Heresy's to over 100db easy.  I listen at 75-85db most of the time.

IMG_0551.JPG

• Like 3

I don't want to highjack the thread, just thought this might be relevant to the discussion. I will be putting a brand new, unopened Aiqin/Oldchen Luxury EL34 set up in triode mode on Garage Sale as soon as it gets here. Will make a great deal on it for anyone wanting to give it a try.