1979 La Scala LS-BR Ebay

Mh3pworth

Hey All,

There is a pair of La Scalas on ebay i am considering bidding on Here

Sales about to end so need to think fast.

I have very little experience and don't know what to look for since there isn't a chance to look in person. 

I am excited by the prospect of owning a pair but don't want to make a mis-step.

Please share thoughts

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum :D 

Interesting ... looks like he has redone the fronts ... oversized?  If they are 100% "operational," I would go for it if you can live with the appearance.  Good luck!

Think @wvu80 keeps track of prices ... hope he can "chime in" for you.

• Like 3

If you're close, go for it. The parts are worth more than the current bid. There are already 4 people bidding, it will probably jump near the closing bell.

If you aren't familiar with them, they aren't worth too much more than current pricing. It would be a lot of work to get them up and running to spec.

They give little or no info as to condition so I always assume the worst.

Could be fun to mess with depending on your skill set and how good you want them to look / sound.

If close to me, I would give them a shot.

• Like 4

Thanks Emile!

I messaged the seller and he said they were operational but who know to what degree.

I'm pretty crafty so i figure if the appearance starts to bother me I can alway refinish them.

Anyone have thoughts on price they would/should go for? It is an auction so I image the price will go up.

Edited by Mh3pworth
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mh3pworth said:

Thanks Emile!

I messaged the seller and he said they were operational but who know to what degree.

I'm pretty crafty so i figure if the appearance starts to bother me I can alway refinish them.

Anyone have thoughts on price they would/should go for? It is an auction so I image the price will go up.

Sold for $780, not too bad!

• Like 3

$780 isn't bad at all if all of the drivers work and you can go pick them up.  

Not sure how those fronts were done because from the looks of the squawker face depth, it looks like a normal thickness.  Also the peak of the bass front looks right, yet there's an overhang seemingly everywhere.  If you look closely, there's a horizontal seam just below the squawker like the entire top section front was replaced.  Doesn't explain the bottom, though. I'm intrigued!

Did you get them, @Mh3pworth?

I ended up passing... I live in Brooklyn and would have had to rent a car. With the additional cost from the rental I figured I could probably find a pair that I could test first. I guess I was a little risk averse. Hope I made the right decision and another pair pops up soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a pair of vintage LaScalas , sight unseen, from a member. Had to wait 7 months and drive 2000 miles each way to get them.

they did not disappoint.

These folks will keep ya right.

fwiw

I transported them cross-country in a NissanVersaNote... They fit like a glove. LSII are too big.

15 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

I have three La Scalas. While they are not for sale, I am happy to demo them. 

Are you willing to demo your pins, too?  I recognize "Scared Stiff", "Wizard of Oz", "Lord of the Rings", and "Medieval Madness" from your avatar, but I can't quite make out the machine just to the right of Elvira / Scared Stiff...?

14 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Are you willing to demo your pins, too?  I recognize "Scared Stiff", "Wizard of Oz", "Lord of the Rings", and "Medieval Madness" from your avatar, but I can't quite make out the machine just to the right of Elvira / Scared Stiff...?

Sure, but I buy and sell them periodically. Sold Scared Stiff and the other one is Ghostbusters.